Storm Stripped Of Premierships!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why so many are suggesting the players are innocent in this. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that third party payments for travel and accom of around $15,000 are a bit suss. While not all of he players would have known, those who were getting more than they should would have. Let's hope they're all named.

They would of all known IMO.
And one would have whinged why so & so is getting more then him.
And when that whingers wage went up the next sook would question bosses about why he is getting less. And so on and so on untill everyone was getting over paid = exceeding cap.
Then you have all the luxeries associated with that on top.

Nothing new there, this has been happening in the states football comp for many years. If you want the best team you have to pay the best figures.
Jerry Mcquire sums it up the best with: SHOW ME THE MONEY

I'm not sure why so many are suggesting the players are innocent in this. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that third party payments for travel and accom of around $15,000 are a bit suss. While not all of he players would have known, those who were getting more than they should would have. Let's hope they're all named.

yeah I know what your saying, but its probably pretty hard to say no to perks etc given to you and say "oh no thanks I wont take this extra car or trip or whatever even if everyone else is" but your probably right and they do have something to answer for.. but without the people who instigated and gave the perks they wouldn't have them at all.. we dont know how we'd all react when in their shoes.. how many of you would have said no to the perks etc? thats all Im saying.. and just think people shouldn't be so quick to crucify the players is all.

I also think peoples dislike of the storm is mainly because they are a good side and won some great games and premierships..
and because they are from melbourne..

almost forgot... Go the tigers :D

So dosn't that mean the QLD state of origin side have been cheats for 5 years too then?
Slater, Cam, Smith, Crocker, White, Cronk, Falua, Quinn & many others all played origin right?....Yep strip them as well haha.

GO NSW

You're such a stirrer Chondro :lol: It's that the allowances were padded that was the issue, not that they got them at all ;)

Colin, I'm from Melbourne, I can't stand NRL, and I can still see that there are problems inherant in players turning a blind eye to excessive payments. If I took on a new job and a car was a perk of the package, I'd take it. If I was a League player and know that the perks I was signing up for were against the cap, no I wouldn't take them. The old "everyone's doing it" excuse doesn't wash with me, and it's a sad indictment in our society that it would be considered as okay, even for a minute.

The biggest problem with the system is that they get payed so damned much, get so many perks and are treated like royalty for what is in effect simply doing their jobs. There are people out there who work harder, longer, and sacrifice more to earn less. The sad thing is that many of these people are probably NRL/AFL/whatever fans, saving up for their tickets and whatnot, while the people they revere sit back with a massive sense of entitlement, justifying fraud as a perk. So no, I don't think we're dong wrong to crucify the players (although I wouldn't use such a strong word for it myself), they make enough money in this venture without the need to resort to dodgey dealings.

That being said, the saddest thing in all of this is that it's generated far more controversy and punishment than when players sexually abuse someone.

Last edited:
yeah I know what your saying, but its probably pretty hard to say no to perks etc given to you and say "oh no thanks I wont take this extra car or trip or whatever even if everyone else is" but your probably right and they do have something to answer for.. but without the people who instigated and gave the perks they wouldn't have them at all.. we dont know how we'd all react when in their shoes.. how many of you would have said no to the perks etc? thats all Im saying.. and just think people shouldn't be so quick to crucify the players is all.

I also think peoples dislike of the storm is mainly because they are a good side and won some great games and premierships..
and because they are from melbourne..

almost forgot... Go the tigers :D

Nah, my dislike for the Storm stems from the years of special treatment they recieved. I don't think they have had one season where they have met the NRL's requirements as far as field size, fans through gates etc. They have also reportedly been losing $6m a year, yet they were still allowed to continue despite some other clubs being forced to merge. We have lost the Bears, and effectivaly lost Wests - two of the founding clubs. The steelers are also pretty much gone and nearly everyone outside of the Illawarra area refers to the merger as Saints or St George.

Apart from all that I'm still majorly dirty about the '99 GF!!!!!! :x

Come on, mighty Wollongong,
We're the Illawarra Steelers.
You can't go wrong with the men so strong,
Gonna give 'em the taste of steel.

Go the Steelers!!!!!!!

So dosn't that mean the QLD state of origin side have been cheats for 5 years too then?
Slater, Cam, Smith, Crocker, White, Cronk, Falua, Quinn & many others all played origin right?....Yep strip them as well haha.

GO NSW

Umm..... I'd love to jump behind you in full support but Quinn played for NSW..........:shock:;)

State of Origin doesn't come under a salary cap as far as I'm aware? (and yes, go the BLUES!!!)

GO NSW

ok fair enough ShadowDragon..
all I really want to add is..
Go the tigers :D

I'm gonna go out a limb here................................are you a Tigers fan by any chance? :lol:

I'm gonna go out a limb here................................are you a Tigers fan by any chance? :lol:

:shock: you really must be psychic?? how did you guess??
I'm a tigers fan born and bred - Go the tigers :D

I work for ME Bank...... we have pulled sponsorship. Last night we had quite a few calls to complain about Storms breach of salary capping!!!!!

Go the tigers
My wife, her family (except her brother) & most of her mates are Tigers fans.
By locality, I should also be a Tiger (grew up & live around Ryde) but when I was about 4 or 5 yo (a LONG time ago now), I decided the Dogs were my team & stuck with 'em since.
However I do love going to Leichhardt Oval to watch a Tigers game, best league ground I reckon.

when I was about 4 or 5 yo (a LONG time ago now), I decided the Dogs were my team & stuck with 'em since.

My sort of loyalty, unfortunately Newtown Jets hasn't won a game since 1983 but I am still at the empty Henson Park oval in my jersey cheering for nobody on a Fri night. :lol::lol:

Look at me a Sharkies fan all my life and we are the only club that hasn't won a premiership!!!
My kids watch the footy with me and say "Dad why are the Sharkies such losers?".....LOL

Reply, "get used to it kids, that's the life of as Sharkies fan"

Joke:

Q. What has 26 legs and can't climb a ladder???

A. The Melbourne Storm...

Bahhahahahahahha

Go you Sharkies..... :D

I have absolutely no sympathy for the Storm whatsoever but what about the fact that all this extra money was thrown at players THEY developed and nurtured into superstars but because of the salary cap had no way of hanging onto them? The Storm club seem to have the ability to take a fringe first grader and turn them into rep players, and no amount of money thrown at a player can achieve that.
Melbourne are never active in the player market, they can't even keep the players they bring through (even by rorting the system)
It must be heart breaking for a club to bring a kid through their ranks and turn them into a quality player only to have them poached by a rival club

Yep I grew up in Drummoyne and use to walk across the bridge and watch the amco cup and tigers games,but GO the roosters.

still like the tigers though

I have absolutely no sympathy for the Storm whatsoever but what about the fact that all this extra money was thrown at players THEY developed and nurtured into superstars but because of the salary cap had no way of hanging onto them? The Storm club seem to have the ability to take a fringe first grader and turn them into rep players, and no amount of money thrown at a player can achieve that.
Melbourne are never active in the player market, they can't even keep the players they bring through (even by rorting the system)
It must be heart breaking for a club to bring a kid through their ranks and turn them into a quality player only to have them poached by a rival club

Fair enough, you have to hand it to the way they can pick fringe players that will work well in their system, but to claim they are in any way at odds because they lose players they develop to the salary cap is a farce. Im all for teams being able to retain players they have developed, loyalty should be nurtured, but to cry over teams like the Storm, or even the Roosters who have done away with all but their first grade teams is a joke. There are teams like the Panthers, Tigers, Bulldogs, Broncos, St George Illawarra and Souths, Wests even, who go above and beyond in their support for juniors, and are pretty much alone in their development of players, hands down. Why are these Clubs who do the hard yards for the entire development of players not rewarded for doing so....

Crying for a team, who may be new, but for the first few years get a larger bracket as far as salary cap is concerned to entice better players, underhandedly retaining players to hold their team together, is a joke, fullstop. I feel moreso, for teams who develop players from the juniors, who cannot retain players who are up and coming, because they have already nutrured their stars, and to retain them, have had to pass on the players coming through. The system as it is, is a shambles....

So many experts on Rugby League here, i feel blessed to have read these words of wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back