Strange Python Behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nintendont

Reaction score
I am really confused at my newest snake and wondering if anyone can explain some behaviour. I have 4 pythons but this new one; a Coastal Carpet is really weird. It has had a few feeds with me and every one was weird.
This snake wont strike when offered a rat and it wont start to eat at all unless there is noone in the room. In the past I have had to leave the room for an hour and let it eat in peace.
Today I left a rat in there for an hour and when I came back the snake had come down from its perch and had wrapped itself into a tight ball ON TOP of the rat (not actually gripping the rat at all).
I have been coming back at half hour intervals for a while now and it remains in a tight ball but the ball moves a few inches. Never actually grabbing the rat.
I dont know whats going on...if the snake thinks it is constricting prey or what...it is not a nice neat defensive ball python look either...it is more a disorganised knotted mess of snake...is this a symptom of neurological problems?
Temps are fine and it's not in shed.

can you take the rat out or is the snake holding on to it ?

I could take the rat out: and I will soon if this continues.
Im not fussed if it doesnt eat, it's just this weird behaviour has me perplexed. Its making me think it has brain problems. very ssssspecial ssssnake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back