Stupid freaking weather!!!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do the snakes cope in such hot weather? That is one of the things stopping me from getting one at the moment. While I am at home some days with my son, if I am working my husband isn't keen on having the aircon on all day if there is nobody home to keep the snake cool in the house. The dogs go outside when we are not home, and while they don't like extreme heat, they have plenty of water and just don't move around a lot and stay in the shade.

^^^^^ What the??? I hope that's a joke - ha ha.

Over here in the west we've had 40 degrees with 85% humidity and no breeze at all! It is stifling. This weather sure is weird.

Was that aimed at me? My house has very poor insulation and it absolutely bakes in the summer if the aircon is not on - gets hotter than outside. Don't want to get a snake, have hubby not let me put aircon on if we are not home during the day and come home to a snake dead from the heat :( So wondering what people do with their snakes when it does get around the 40 degree mark - inside, outside, turn their heaters off in their enclosures, aircon on, or are they OK in the heat?

I am SO thankful not to be living in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada anymore....right now it is -34, with the wind chill it is -45!!:?

I love Australia! :D

Yep, been a bit warm in adelaide, but i dont think we really have had a summer as such, apart from 43 on new years eve, lol. Woke up thought it was supposed to be 35 today, turned the news on and nope 42 for adelaide, 12 hours in a truck, no thx, of to the DRs for a sick note :)

i love the hot weather and realy realy hat the cold....
yet you live in ruggsville :lol::lol::lol::D;) sorry thought that was a bit funny

Kavik said:
How do the snakes cope in such hot weather? That is one of the things stopping me from getting one at the moment. While I am at home some days with my son, if I am working my husband isn't keen on having the aircon on all day if there is nobody home to keep the snake cool in the house. The dogs go outside when we are not home, and while they don't like extreme heat, they have plenty of water and just don't move around a lot and stay in the shade.
i know you want a snake but bearded dragons actually do really well hot weather. mine coped really well, i had his basking light on until 12pm then turned it off, left the aircon off in my room and when i went to bed just had a fan on. as long as you have low humidity in the enclosure.

snakes have higher heating and cooling requirements and i'm lucky that my house doesn't get to hot when the air con is off even a snake could cope. but by the sounds of it your house is like an icebox in winter and like a bonfire in summer..just like my old place. if you want a reptile maybe think about a desert lizard that copes well in hot and cold climates...ceramic heat emitters can be used in winter to stop the enclosure getting below 16C

Alright I am with you on the heat issue yesterday my Litoria Ewingi tank dried up despite me topping up the water before leaving for school and comming home at 1 oclock both my little frogs died. :(

Bugga ! i'll stick with snakes and beardies then, or make sure i have a 4ft tank for them. with 3ft of water.

A 4 foot tank for 1-5cm frogs that would be enough room for 100 odd and they would drown with that much water. Just means I have to use a different substrate like peat moss as it holds water better than gravel but I only had them about 3 weeks so they were in temp housing untill they get bigger which they wont :( still no use complaining about it.

yeah the weather sucked i have my aircon in my room on at night turn it off to seep at night since its so loud and wake up to 31-32*c at 5am only 28*c outside it sucks, been starting work at 6am to finish early but it dosent help being in a shed with 3x 200*c 7m long ovens lol

yoda hates it! funny thing is i can leave his basking light on for 3 hrs and 6hrs later it will still be the same temp..on super hot temps so yeah and to keep cool he buries himself in his substrate in the cool end!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back