Stupid Questions and Replies....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I hate the saying a dead snakes a good snake!

I usually just smile sweetly and tell them I feel the same way about children. Didn't work on my boss though, she dislikes children as much as I do :p
She doesn't hate snakes though, but is scared of them so doesn't understand why you'd want them as pets. I wish I was allowed to bring in my baby Stimmie Lou Lasagne, to show them that snakes aren't awful...

I'm just getting really sick of the people who say 'the only good snake is a dead snake', for some reason i feel compulsed to slap them

I always reply to this one with,

"You know, I feel exactly the same way about koala's".

(I don't really, it's just for the shock factor).

Some people just look at me with a disgusted look on their face and leave (like Rosso from the radio, fine with me, he's a bit of an prik in person anyway), but others reply with, "you know what? I never thought about it that way".

Some people have even started to ask questions about snakes after saying this.

Also, has anyone herd this one,

"Did you know snakes don't have a shadow over water?"

I simply laughed and walked away. Some stupidity isn't worth replying too.

My fave recent questions; new cleaner, today, after being told that there are two snakes in vivaria in the lounge room....
"will they bite me?"
'only if you attempt to vacuum in their enclosures'
"have they ever eaten your kids?"
'not the 3 who are still alive.'
whilst pointing out the pythons in their cubic metre sized enclosures, "are they anacondas?"
'not yet, but maybe when they grow up.'
after explaining one is a spotted juvenile, the other a Darwin... "Did you find them in the garden?" (Coastal Victoria, sure!) but best of all, " when they get bigger will you let them go?"
and after all that and a 2 hour tag team cleaning blitz, she told me she was very worried that I might not have heard about the woman whose snake sized her up and ate her while she was asleep.
'Its an urban myth,'
"No it isn't, it really happened, I read it on the Internet!"
im just picturing Consuela the mexican maid from family guy asking those questions lol
"no...no...no...nooooo....we need more lemon pledge"

My most astonishing question was from a 7 year old girl who was the daughter of 1 of our friends, she stood in front of our enclosure looking at our big girl and asked "Do snakes fart" i stood there a minute picking my jaw up off the floor and said "probably but they must do silent ones" ............................

For future reference they can and do fart,audible ones too!

Also, has anyone herd this one,

"Did you know snakes don't have a shadow over water?"

I simply laughed and walked away. Some stupidity isn't worth replying too.

Hahahaha omg... some old fella down the local hardware told me this...

How would you even respond? I think i managed to spout "what the ........" before i walked off.

What i should have said: Yeah thats right, snakes are related to vampires, you also cant see their reflection in a mirror!

my snake has only been officially mine for a couple of weeks now, but i've been getting it out and taking it on walks for a good 6 months. i've had one extremely negative encounter where an old c-bomb tried to hurt to the python, and he got a punch in the mouth for his effort.

plenty of stupid questions and even dumber hypothetical scenarios have been posed to me.

the most ridiculous was, "what if it decides to eat you instead of the food you give it, because it's really, really, really hungry? it could take your hand then swallow you arm first."

i was unable to sway this person's idiotic theory, because they had seen a goat swallowed by an anaconda on youtube.

on the flip side to all this, monty can be an absolute chick magnet, so it's not all bad!

Last edited:
I heard someone at SOFAR asking the lady at the snake ranch table if their children's were feeding on lizards because his two year olds were eating them and then sounded surprised that they were on rats :/

The one I get ALL the time is, oh I thought the tank would be bigger, oh that's right snakes only grow as big as the tanks they're in hey? :facepalm:

And also mentioned above, I get how do you sleep knowing they're in the house alot too haha

I get this from my aunties:
Aren't you scared that it will smash its enclosure and escape? Keep in mind that it is a stimsons python in a glass exo terra enclosure lol

You have to mess with them for a little while it is sooo much fun, then try and answer as best you can. Until they understand your love of them they will continue to ask uniformed questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back