substrate for shingles URGENT my shingle is sick

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's the wood oils itself but I don't know that for sure. I tend to use newspaper for everything I keep.

I know for a fact that the oils in pine and cedar shavings create great problems in rats as far as breathing issues go. It causes a lot of respiratory illnesses. Not sure about reptiles though.

oh ok, sorry hornet for the misunderstanding, i see what your saying now, i have looked for ages for a good substrate other then newspaper, being only able to choose from aspen, kitty litter and pretty much newspaper and when i found the cocosoft, its was great, it wasnt that expensive and it took any odours away, its good for spot cleaning, you still have to change it every 2 weeks or so but i like to do that anyway, and yeah it was everything i was trying to fine and its still working for me. I was just scared off from using any wood shavings because i was always told that it will kill your snake. I thank you for shedding some light on what can actually be used safely.

If its sick (bobtail flu), you should take it back to Ken and ask for a healthy animal, if not ask him to pay for the antibiotics from the vet to treat it. They should be smart enough not to sell sick animals because all it does is give them a bad name...

Dont keep water bowls in the enclosure, keep the humidity very low.

Mate the first thing to do is get it to the vet and get the cold cleared up. As for substrate I use breeders choice kitty litter on mine and it keeps the humidity down in the enclosure. I don't leave a water bowl in mine and I only offer water twice a week.

okay thanks guys any other suggestions so far it looks like breeders choice kitty litter

everyone ive just changed to breeders choice kitty litter thanks for your help ill post again to tell you how she goes

Have you booked a appointment with the vet to get some antibiotics for it?

The pine shavings are fine. I have used them for ages, and it is the cheapest substrate available besides using newspaper alone. I line the bottom with paper first. It doesn't matter what you use you should avoid the animal ingesting it. I think the pine is better for burrowing than breeders choice. A little sneeze is not a cold but if you are not sure consider seeing a vet and the seller, provide a nice hot basking spot 45 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back