Substrate Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IloveMYdiamond12

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about combining critters crumble with aspen..
does anyone do this or have any advice ?

I don't see the point in combining them.

What are you trying to achieve?

If I was going to combine anything, it would be the fine Critters Crumble with the chunkier Critters Crumble.

I use paper towels or newspaper, if I want something that looks more natural I use coco fiber. IMO they are the best and most cheap substrate. Although it depends on what animal the substrate is for.

I wouldn't combine them, you would be better just using the aspen by itself. I use aspen and love it.

It depends on what you are housing. I wouldn't combine Kritter Krumble with anything.

If you are looking for a "natural" viv, you could try setting up a "living" vivarium with little bugs and worms and leaf litter. They are supposedly really cool once they get going. No need to clean your viv but maybe every few years. I'll see if I can't find the link for it.

Actually, since Im not 100% sure on the rules linking to other sites just do a Google search for Bio active vivarium.

People use wood mites, earthworms and this little wormy things that ball up, Orchid bark, leaf litter, bark, and some kind of drainage.

The idea of bio active is to sustain a living, thriving natural habitat for your reptiles. The bugs will eat the poo and bones left over, the plants will increase O2, and among other things, no cleaning. Its a really neat idea and amazing to look at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Its for a juvenile diamond python..
the only reason is that im trying to use up all the aspen an get rid of it, i still have a half a bag which i think is too much to throw away but its not enought to fill my whole vivarium
also i saw a set up in a pet shop yesterday where they had combined the two and it looked more natural looking than either of them alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back