substrates?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
what is your favorite? why? this is for 6 month eastern water dragons. I'm going to buy online tonight and want to make the best choice. i hear they love to dig and would you think a repti bark or critters crumble?

cheers in advance guys...

Theyre currently on 2-3mm coral sand (was left over from a marine tank)...never had any problems with it, and they certainly do like too dig haha, its really cute...have lil burrows

ah awesome, so you would say buy something like that again? i was leaning towards a calci sand or critter crumbles. is there anything special to look for in coral sand?

I would think critter crumbles would be cheaper and easier to simply replace when it got smelly. Just in the interests of saving you some money have a look for 'kitty crumble', same company, same product just marketed for cats and you pay less for a bigger bag ;)

Oh and critter crumble is just fine coconut coir, as long as you get the plain one without added fertiliser, etc you can buy it cheaply in a block from bunnings and just rehydrate it.

i would also like to know what the best substrate would be for young ewd's. i have a shallow layer of small river rocks but its not very exciting an doesnt look that comfy. what else would be better to use? i was thinking sand but then i realised that they always get wet in the water bowel and jump out again and then all the sand sticks to them and it can be kind of messy. then i thought bark chipping or somthing like that would be great but wouldnt the constant water spilages rot the bark and make it go all green and mouldy?

I like the repti bark but was wondering if it would make the tank to humid at all?

I left mine to dry out a bit before I added it to the tank, it is quite a damp substrate straight from the pack.

No for other reps, I don't keep EWDs personally but we have them at work so I feel your pain :p Actually at work we keep them on a fake rock floor, very easy to keep clean and no issues with them treking substrate everywhere.

I use coco peat with spagnum moss on top.

is this substrate good with getting wet? spot cleaning and all round upkeep? they can dig in it well and not dusty? im a little apposed to sands because it gets in the tracks and everything so this would sound like a good alternative..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back