Sucker cat fish - sp?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abbott75

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the species name for the common sucker catfish available in Australian aquariums?

Bristlenose catfish?

Very common and cheap (at least for the normal ones)

No, not the bristlenose, just the long browny clolured ones sold in pet shops as "Sucker Catfish". I'd post a pic if I had a camera...

nope the tandanus is a native, carnivorous catfish that grows pretty big. The one that you are thinking of i beleive is the sucking loach, Gyrinicheilus aymonieri

Attachments

• algae-eater.jpg
    algae-eater.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 73
I worked in an aquarium shop for 3yrs before my apprenticeship, it is amazing the amount of time i heard, "Hi, i bought a Sucking Catfish from you #yrs ago and know it has got big and sucks on the side of my angelfish/goldfish/discus/cichlid etc, can i sell it to you?"

And this is after you tell them that it gets big and stops predominately eating algae.

You have to be careful as theres 2 species of those Siamese algae eaters that look very simular & are sold under the same name, the genuine one has the stripe that continues through the tail.
I prefer the ancistrus, they seem to do a much better job & they dont bother any other tankmates.

Both gibbies and pleco's get big but. The best for eating algae would be ancistrus (bristlenose catfish).

There is the plain old sucking catfish which is pictured by hotrodrob then you have the algae eaters. The one i think abbot is talking about is the plain old sucking catfish.

Hope that clears it up.

Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back