Sudden Death, please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristy86

Reaction score
Hi all, I woke to find my 3 year old central beardie dead this morning. not a good start to any day. i have another in the cage, which i immediately took out and put in a fish tank, i now fear for her safety to. i have no idea why she died, she was large, healthy, running aroung on monday arvo, ate on the weekend, showed no signs of stress or anything. yesterday morning when i went to put food in she was sitting in her normal morning spot, doing what i thought was trying to get some sun, sitting in her upright position, but unlike normal her mouth was open and she wasn't moving much or taking notice of me which was unusual. i went to work and got my sister to check on her later in the day, she was moving and was sitting on her normal perch. last night she was in her sleeping spot when i got home, it was late and i din't think anything of it. this morning she was still there, not moving, eyes open, broke my heart. does any one have any ideas, i couldn't loose my other girl too.

Vet to get a post done this should yield some results

Oh thats sad, take her to the vet and they can do tests

Very sorry, id hate to lose my baby..

in the heat of things this morning i just got my partner to burrier her, so i can't take her to the vet. any possible theories? things i should look for?

Ummm, if she was buried in a towel......and I know this sounds off....but you could still....dig her up and take her to the vet, they'd still probably be able to find something if she'd been wrapped in something clean. It might be worth the effort even though it sounds horrible.

Really sorry about your loss. :-(

Do you have sand in the enclosure? Could it be impaction?... Doesn't sound like it... I am so sorry to hear about your loss

How horrible for you:cry:.
You hadn't changed your food supplier or anything like that?
Hope u get to the bottom of it.

How awful :(

You said there was another beardy in the tank. Do you think they could have fought? Does he have any wounds? :(

no wounds, no fighting, same fresh vegies as always, both ate them so not the food

Very sorry to hear that!:( I would take your other beardie to the vet, for a check up.

It common for adults to drop dead for no apparent reason, I have been wondering if they are dieing from heart attacks from either calcium issues or rapid growth, heart problems are reasonably common at least in snakes, I can't see why highly strung beardies that grow rapidly in captivity and usually end up over weight would be any different.

Check that temperature, humidity is valid. Thermostat may be malfunctioning. Are they getting plenty of UV? If it had it's mouth open this can be an indication of respiratory infection. Can you hear any sounds from the other one when it's breathing? They can also open their mouths when overheated. Again, check that thermostat isn't broken. If you have access to a good reptile vet, get the other one checked for infections, viruses, fungi, parasites, take faeces for testing. Double check that behaviour is normal. Clean out enclosure and sterilise everything.

Last edited:
they were in an outside pit, so uv wasn't an issue, its now starting to cool down so temp was fine, no weesing sounds or anything else, from either, i was in there with it on monday night, no problem, running around fine, no noise no mouth open nothing, if it was respiratory wouldn't she have shown some signs before now? everything i have read says they show signs that they are sick, slow down, stop eating, make wheesing noises, none of this was present, i have been over the cage a million times thinking i missed something, ive been over the last time i saw her a thousand times in my head, there were no signs, i know what they look like when they are not well, ive seen it when my other one had a broken leg and again a few months ago when she got some stuff in her eye, she looked totaly healthy and fine until tuesday morning, even then she looked ok, just an odd posture. i am seeing the vet with the other one shortly, so will keep you posted. thanks everyone for your support. i am just totaly devistated,

my rescue beardy dropped dead last year after 10 months in my care.

the autopsy showed she was in perfect health, great fat stores, but not overweight, ate 3 hours befoer, had half digested food in her tummy and pooed just before she died. The vet was baffled.

autopsy showed nothing, but its still worth a try.

really sorry to hear ur beardy died, i was totally crushed.

if its any consolation my other 4 were and are stilll fine, so hopefully ur other one will be ok too.

ahahahahaha....a post on a bearded dragon!!..dont waste your money with that..thats the most funniest thing i have ever heard!!

how this for funnier, i spent $360 on a private cremation fro my Daisy,....some of us have more feelings than others,.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back