Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gata1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else finds there snakes swimming alot. Only had my coastal for probably 6-7 months now and in the last few months has really started to come to life and she loves swimming in her water bowl :)

(Just a few pics, sorry for poor quality bad camera and reflection. )
DSCF0020.jpg DSCF0021.jpg

Feel free to add your own pics.
pencil.png

Last edited:
Every time I come out of a night shes either in her water bowl or sitting around it and temps arent to high because she sits in hot end of a afternoon its pretty cool just to see her swimming (sort of ) around in the bowl :)

Mt BHP and Darwin both love their water. My BHP has even cruised round the spa.
Really fast in the water too.

i have a coastal and he is 4 years old and too big to swim in his water bowl but lies in it... when it warm outside i bring him out and put water in a bigger tub for him ...he loves it.

^^^
Love that signature hypnotic
I live with 3 women and rats in the freezer is absolutely forbidden

Every week each of our snakes is given the opportunity to swim in an inflatable pool
That includes Chondros
We put the water temp 2C higher than their vivs
Most of them absolutely love it
Especially the retics

longqi, do the chondro's swim much?

One thing I've been lucky in is rats in the freezer, we already have bloodworms, silworms and cicadas, so rodents is a cake walk :)

Yes most of the chondros enjoy a swim
But the water must be warmer than the air for them to stay in for long
One exception is a pretty old female who was in a bad way when we got her
She stays in the water as long as we let her
Maybe rheumatism??? because she is pretty old I think and just a bit cranky at times
Question::: Is their any proof snakes do or dont get rheumatism???

I was honestly very surprised how much most of them do like it
Each viv has an immersion bowl they seldom use
The pool is completely open so they can get out easily but the majority just swim around for a while then just lie there with their heads up a little bit and for the chondros we leave a piece of bamboo over the pool so they can bask when they finish

The retics are the best though
They glide through the water like eels and stay submerged forever
Burmese just seem to curl up on the bottom until they are done

We have used the water to train wild retics
Just put them in it and gently stroke them as they play
Seems to work ok on anything medium sized
They must have really good eyesight because they can hit you from underwater exactly on target [bit like a croc??]
A big one can hit you a fair way above the surface with virtually no warning
Underwater hits are bad because they dont telegraph the bite like they do on land so you have to be pretty careful

Woke up this morning to find Bazynga swimming around in his pool,he looks so cute,must be getting ready to shed again......yay,love watching them do that.My woma Jeffrey blows bubbles out his nose while fully under.,but sometimes he just sticks his head in and does that.funny as to watch,he gets quite messy when he really gets going.

I have a large glass bowl of water for my water python and she loves getting in there to swim.

I have a huge aquarium with a decent sized oscar swimming around in there,need him gone for the space.......what u think?Didn't know snakes like diamonds held their breath and swam under the water.Think jungles would do the same?Oh and the above pic is very cool,do have somewhere she can slide up on out of the water?

I have a huge aquarium with a decent sized oscar swimming around in there,need him gone for the space.......what u think?Didn't know snakes like diamonds held their breath and swam under the water.Think jungles would do the same?Oh and the above pic is very cool,do have somewhere she can slide up on out of the water?
Yeah half the floor is water and half land, not to mention the back wall. She would fully submerge herself and hold her breath for at least a minute at a time. I would have thought that she would freak out or something but she'd hold her breath and swim around casually as if she were on land. It was second nature to her. I know have my albino darwin in there and I have never seen him in there... Depends on the individual snake i guess

So the pond is actually in her enclosure?with the little neon tetras swimming around?That is awesum,bloody freaky deaky awesum.Everytime i think okay that sketch looks really good,i log on and see something else that sends me off into a whole new direction.

That tank and setup is totally awsome and that snake to swim underwater and hold it breath for up to a miute is so cool hopefully if i get enclosure with a bit of a "snake swimming pool" in it my coastal that loves water will swim like your diamond :D

I love watching snakes move on land and in the water. It's astonishing how well an animal with no limbs can swim. I hope to come across this behaviour in the wild one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back