tawny frog mouth???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The aviarys are 2.1m high,5m wide and 6m long.They used to be fully landscaped but had 2 browns decide to visit one summer.Now theyve only got ponds and a couple of trees.Easy enough to look after,I sold the Bluewings:(,i never had trouble breeding them.Im thinking of parting with the Laughings,havent made my mind up yet.Ive caught the snake bug:)

hey cougar, are your birds tame? like, are they just for show you just feed them, or if you go into the cage do they fly to you and sit on you etc..
could those birds become tame?
(the bluewings and kooks not the tawnys)

Nat ;)

herpsrule,When i take food in for them the cock bird swoops down an takes it from my hands,he has no fear of humans,the hen bird is a bit shy.Ive bred from this pair a few times and even h/r a pair myself.As soon as the yng h/r birds went into a aviary they became flighty.

oh ok yer i figured the aviary life would do that. how could you keep them to stay less flighty? it is best to keep them outside though yer i agree.

Nat ;)

Yep, outdoors in large aviarys is best.

The tawny smell isnt diet related, they just smell.
Their poo smells just as nasty, regardless of what you feed them.
They love mice, but if you give them too many then they will get fat, but if you just feed them on oxheart and insectivore mix then they will probably lose condition.
Often when they are in from the wild they wont eat food unless you put it in their beak. Pain in the bum when you have 20 of them in care!
Your aviary may need some shadecloth to cover the wire, they they have different eyesight to most birds, and will keep flying into the wire if they arent used to it.
I would recomend a HUGE aviary if you are keeping them permanantly. And i dont see the point in keeping a perfectly good bird captive. Please only take on un-releasable birds.

you think that they smell
you havent smelt anything till you smell a tawny bring up a food pellet from chicken mince..:shock::shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back