Temp Gun

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantazmic

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

about 2.5 years ago we bought a temp gun to check on our snakes

it is one of the best husbandry tools we have ever bought,

it unfortunately no longer works and i need to get a new one

There are heaps on ebay...anybody have a brand name recommendation ?

kind Regards

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,
I got this temp gun of E-Bay for $36 and it is great.
Benetech GM550 Handheld Infrared Thermometer -50 to 550 Degrees
..Cheers Cloe..

Don't mean to hijack the thread but can someone explain what one should look for in a temp gun, there are so many different accuracys, ranges etc, confuses the heck out of me

A good and reliable brand name is Fluke. I use a lot of Fluke meters for work and their temp gun is very good.

No temp gun is as accurate as a contact type thermometer.
Hence why HACCP inspectors use probe and contact thermometers over heat guns.

While I agree they can be good as a guide, there is no way in hell that I would use it as a solitary method of heat recording when it came to live animals. So many things can alter the reliability of them much like digital pH testers.

Good point, and I suppose they is no way of recalibrating them either

No temp gun is as accurate as a contact type thermometer.
Hence why HACCP inspectors use probe and contact thermometers over heat guns.

Not true

Ummm I think you will find that it is indeed true, it's also true of government regulated culinary schools.
Same reason Aria and Quay don't use temp guns but rather contact and analogue thermometers, but please feel free to tell me I am wrong.
I only worked at both restaurants for over 3 years combined and used and recorded with them every single working day.

Thanks for your input though.

LOL. Don't listen to the master chef. Like quoting culinary schools makes a difference? Wow 3 years in the the restaurant industry. What a genius! Makes my 18 years in electrical a bit redundant. :) tumble wee'd you are wrong.
In the engineering world we use thermal imaging to detect heat spots in electrical equipment. 33kV to 240v. Thermal imaging is a very accurate way not only to detect heat spots in things like switchboards or joins in high voltage etc, but it also gives an acurate temp reading. I've used my fluke temp gun next to the $25,000 thermal imaging gear and got the very same reading. Temp guns are very accurate and have many appliations. I can't see a use for them in the kitchen, but they are a great tool for reptile keepers and there is no problem using them as the solitary means of temp monitoring with reptile enclosures. What tumble wee'd fails to comprehend is reptile keepers are simply using guns to measure temps in basking spots. Not temperatures used to cook reptiles! So of course his limited experience in the kitchen would result in seeing other methods used for recording surface temp. Which of course has nothing to do with reptile husbandry. As he gets older he may realise that cooking and keeping reptiles are quite different. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. Don't listen to the master chef. Like quoting culinary schools makes a difference? Wow 3 years in the the restaurant industry. What a genius! Makes my 18 years in electrical a bit redundant. :) tumble wee'd you are wrong.
In the engineering world we use thermal imaging to detect heat spots in electrical equipment. 33kV to 240v. Thermal imaging is a very accurate way not only to detect heat spots in things like switchboards or joins in high voltage etc, but it also gives an acurate temp reading. I've used my fluke temp gun next to the $25,000 thermal imaging gear and got the very same reading. Temp guns are very accurate and have many appliations. I can't see a use for them in the kitchen, but they are a great tool for reptile keepers and there is no problem using them as the solitary means of temp monitoring with reptile enclosures. What tumble wee'd fails to comprehend is reptile keepers are simply using guns to measure temps in basking spots. Not temperatures used to cook reptiles! So of course his limited experience in the kitchen would result in seeing other methods used for recording surface temp. Which of course has nothing to do with reptile husbandry. As he gets older he may realise that cooking and keeping reptiles are quite different. :rolleyes:

Actually genius, I was in the commercial cookery trade for over 10 years. The 2 establishments I mentioned are regarded as 2 of Australia's most acclaimed (Hence, their hygiene practices are second to none).
If you can't see why an accurate,handheld temp gun would be beneficial in a commercial kitchen setting I will explain it to you.

Both fan-forced and convection ovens,steaming trays,walk in fridges and freezers,reach in fridges and freezers,brat pans not to mention checking refrigerated trucks which deliver meat,dairy and fruit and vegetables are of a suitable temperature.......no, there are absolutely no application where a reliable one could be used in that setting:rolleyes:

The point I was making with bringing up the industry is there are rules set in place by both OH&S and the Australian government which compel us to view and record these temperatures to insure the "safety zone" temps are met before being served to customers AND recorded to insure that if there is a case of food poisoning in that establishment or an outbreak of a contaminant which is the product of incorrect temperatures that there is documentation of those readings not just for the day in question but of that week,month,quarter.

Secondly, every TAFE institution in Australia that teaches commercial cookery will tell you more than once that if a temp gun is used a probe thermometer has to be used afterwards to validate the reading was correct, now these institutions have cooking equipment which exceed $60,000 per unit.....do you really think that they wouldn't use an instrument that would save the workers in the industry at least an hour per day IF that instrument was reliable?
Probably the same reason you won't see a chef or food scientist using one to measure the temperature of chocolate,toffee or spun sugar.
And the same reason all walk in cooling and freezing units that use digital technology also have analogue thermometers installed in them.

If you think a digital temperature gun will stay calibrated through it's life and without giving at least one false reading you must live in la-la land. And I'm sure you have calibrated it using $25,000 thermal imagining equipment:rolleyes:.....just like I had my family car tuned by Maserati.

At the end of the day you can use the old "baby bottle test" method to test your enclosure temperatures for all I care. I simply stated that using a single digital form of temperature reading is taking a risk that I personally won't take with my live animals.

Last edited:
Wow - all my APS dreams come true - a simple question - good brand of temperature gun - turns into heated (scuse the pun) argument over which is better...

Problem solved... Buy a temperature gun Elizabeth and enjoy the use of it - they're fine and accurate enough for your purpose. And if you were worried about their accuracy just get a bowl, fill it with a slurry (ice water mix) - as the ice is melting the temperature will hover around 0'C (or close enough). I think you'll find, for the purpose, they're fine!!!

I use a raytek minitemp Mt3,had it for about 6 years and dropped it a few times and replaced the battery twice and it still works like new.
Where they are useful is checking the surface temperature of eggs ,substrates,heatmats,reptiles themselves etc.
Lots of uses, you can see if your thermostats and thermometers are working correctly.
Fluke and raytek are good brands,the one i have was from citrus automotive in florida USA .

I use a Digitech QM-7221 with Dual Laser Targeting, accurate to +-1%,although I am a big fan of Fluke,Digitech is nearly half the price with good options.....

Actually genius, I was in the commercial cookery trade for over 10 years. The 2 establishments I mentioned are regarded as 2 of Australia's most acclaimed (Hence, their hygiene practices are second to none).
If you can't see why an accurate,handheld temp gun would be beneficial in a commercial kitchen setting I will explain it to you.
Sorry little fella. We are talking about keeping herpetofauna on this site. I'm sure there are cooking forums around if that's your thing. I had tears in my eyes laughing about your posts contradicting that temp guns have no place in the kitchen then explaining where they could be used. Classic :) (I loved the bit about Tafe too. The place where high achieves go to learn)
You're a bit out of your depth trying to argue with me so you may as well just let it be. A kitchen hand vs an electrical designer talking temperature recording equipment. Your analogies don't even make sense and leave me wondering about your mental health?

It seems in the month or so you have been on this site you have quickly gained a reputation as someone who fails to understand basic husbandry. Also someone who struggles with social and communication skills. We see people like you come and go as they usually get suspended before long. I hope it's not the case with you as I'm all for comedy and get a good belly laugh from you miss informed posts. :)
Anyone can look through your post history to see what I'm talking about.

But back to the original posters question which you have failed to answer in your multiple posts.
As I said earlier Fluke is a trusted brand and i have seen fluke guns that are three years old that have been tossed around and have never been re calibrated that are still giving accurate readings +/- .5*c. Which is more than adequate for the use of pet herpetofauna care. A cheaper gun with +/- 3*C would also be just as adequate. Anyone who understands reptiles knows that ball park temps are all that is needed for keeping pet reptiles happy.

I have a sentry ST650, for over 4 yrs and am very pleased with it. Also with your accuracy you have to remember they are taking an average spot temp. Get a gun with a good distance to spot ratio and take your temp reading as close to the surface as possible. I often see people using them having the gun well over a metre away from what they are trying to measure thinking it is taking the temp of exactly where the laser is when it really isnt.

From my limited knowledge base & what i have used, infrared heat guns work fine to find a general reading on surface temperatures. I have done in the past some tests & posted the results of different temps produced by heat emmitters/bulbs & the protection surrounds used to house them. You will find on here somewhere. With the test my gun maxed out at 300c & got a mate to bring & use an infrared thermal imaging camera which maxed out at much less, but both are as accurate as you will get in that type of situation or use.
However it is not something that i rely on & use on a day to day basis & only use it to check temps when needed.
Everything else of high heat or wattage is controlled by thermostats.

So my awnser to the original question is stick to a good brand & get one that has a high max temp reading.
The one that was suggested earlier -50 to 550c sounds pretty good to me & they are great to check surface temps from time to time.
Cheers
Ian

I don't know how to do a shortcut, maybe someone else smarter than me can do? but if you do a search on this forum Ceramic heater too hot burning roof - this is where you will find my temp reading results. Cheers

Last edited:
Super great for internal temp checks, & like you say don't even need chef or sparky.I think that chefs would be better at internal temp checks than sparkys LOL.

Cheers
Ian
[deleted]
A link and info on the fluke temp gun I use.

"Fluke knows temperature, with more than two decades of thermometry experience. Today, we offer the latest in non-contact IR temperature test tools, probes, accessories, and application expertise for a complete range of applications. And Fluke backs its tools with the industry’s best warranty and highest rated customer service.Reach for a rugged Fluke 60 series IR thermometer for jobs requiring temperature measurement in hard-to-reach, hot, rotating, or dangerous situations. Get accurate readings over a broad range of temperatures -40°C to 760°C (-40 °F to 1400 °F). Plus, the enhanced optics allow you to measure smaller objects further away. All with a comfortable and easy to use handheld device
Designed with your on-the-job needs in mind, the new Fluke 62 MAX and 62 MAX+ infrared thermometers are everything you’d expect from the experts in measurement tools. Small in size, extremely accurate and very easy to use. IP54 rated for dust and water resistance. Precise yet rugged enough to take a 3-meter drop. In fact, the 62 MAX and 62 MAX+ are so tough, they’re the only IR thermometers around you can handle without care.
Fluke 62 MAX, 62 MAX+ Infrared Thermometers

Fluke 62 Mini infrared thermometer
The Fluke 62 Mini non-contact thermometer is the perfect introduction to infrared (IR) thermometers for the professional. With the best accuracy in its class, the Fluke 62 Mini offers quick and reliable surface temperature readings. This compact and portable tool enables professionals to diagnose heating and ventilation problems and monitor the temperature of electrical motors and electrical panels without contact. Rugged enough for industrial environments with its protective rubber “boot, the 62 Mini also comes with a handy nylon holster, keeping quick temperature checks at your fingertips."

Fluke 62 Mini Infrared Thermometer | Infrared Thermometer Gun

Ummm I think you will find that it is indeed true, it's also true of government regulated culinary schools.
Same reason Aria and Quay don't use temp guns but rather contact and analogue thermometers, but please feel free to tell me I am wrong.
I only worked at both restaurants for over 3 years combined and used and recorded with them every single working day.

Thanks for your input though.

I have been in kitchens on and off for 17 years, they use them for internal (such as food in a bain marie) temperatures but not for external. If an inspector is in a large venue and has to record hundreds of temperatures he/she will not walk around for a week with contact and analogue thermometers to record the temps. Its ok though, you and your three years experience in school can tell me Im wrong lol.

The guns are fine is what Im saying :)

Wow - all my APS dreams come true - a simple question - good brand of temperature gun - turns into heated (scuse the pun) argument over which is better...

Problem solved... Buy a temperature gun Elizabeth and enjoy the use of it - they're fine and accurate enough for your purpose. And if you were worried about their accuracy just get a bowl, fill it with a slurry (ice water mix) - as the ice is melting the temperature will hover around 0'C (or close enough). I think you'll find, for the purpose, they're fine!!!

Wouldn't the reading actually depend on how high you are above sea level when using freezing/boiling water as a means to calibrate any temperature reading device?
If "close enough" is "good enough" what's the point in having one in the first place?

Snowman;2212187[COLOR=#0000CD said:
][deleted].[/COLOR]

A link and info on the fluke temp gun I use.

"Fluke knows temperature, with more than two decades of thermometry experience. Today, we offer the latest in non-contact IR temperature test tools, probes, accessories, and application expertise for a complete range of applications. And Fluke backs its tools with the industry’s best warranty and highest rated customer service.Reach for a rugged Fluke 60 series IR thermometer for jobs requiring temperature measurement in hard-to-reach, hot, rotating, or dangerous situations. Get accurate readings over a broad range of temperatures -40°C to 760°C (-40 °F to 1400 °F). Plus, the enhanced optics allow you to measure smaller objects further away. All with a comfortable and easy to use handheld device
Designed with your on-the-job needs in mind, the new Fluke 62 MAX and 62 MAX+ infrared thermometers are everything you’d expect from the experts in measurement tools. Small in size, extremely accurate and very easy to use. IP54 rated for dust and water resistance. Precise yet rugged enough to take a 3-meter drop. In fact, the 62 MAX and 62 MAX+ are so tough, they’re the only IR thermometers around you can handle without care.
Fluke 62 MAX, 62 MAX+ Infrared Thermometers

Fluke 62 Mini infrared thermometer
The Fluke 62 Mini non-contact thermometer is the perfect introduction to infrared (IR) thermometers for the professional. With the best accuracy in its class, the Fluke 62 Mini offers quick and reliable surface temperature readings. This compact and portable tool enables professionals to diagnose heating and ventilation problems and monitor the temperature of electrical motors and electrical panels without contact. Rugged enough for industrial environments with its protective rubber “boot, the 62 Mini also comes with a handy nylon holster, keeping quick temperature checks at your fingertips."

Fluke 62 Mini Infrared Thermometer | Infrared Thermometer Gun

Snowman, your insults are childish at best.
Wouldn't you have gone to the "school for high achievers" to obtain your trade certificate? Or did you learn from an "ehow" webpage or similar?

Please enlighten us all with some of your husbandry tactics, I really need to know how to keep carpet pythons :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back