Temperature rising

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryony

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all just a quick Q.

now as you all know last night was very very hot and i was wondering about enclosure temps on days/nights like this.

Last night i turned the heat mat off on my hatchies cause even tho i had all the windows in my room open there was no breeze and was way too hot!
So do we change anything when temps get really hot?

thanx guys in advance

Yeah, I think Fuscy gives good advice!;-) Provide a large soaking bowl at the cool end of the cage.

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat mat, as the thermostat would turn that off, no?

Last year, under similar conditions, I filled plastic drink bottles with water and froze them. On really hot days I wrapped them in a towel and put them in the enclosure so they'd have a nice cool spot to sit. The towel is to prevent them sticking to the frozen bottle! :shock:

Here is a photo of her soaking. I've noticed my Jungles like to have a daily swim.

This was actually taken during a cleaning session, she may have thought she was hiding and stayed in the bowl. I've also given her a bigger bowl

She is about 3. I got her cheap as she was only feeding on live food, was very snappy (she left three teeth in my hand when we first met) and the photo the guy posted didn't do her justice.

She is now trustworthy and feeds on thawed mice. And after a shed she looks spectacular, she is a bit dull in that photo.

How big is she? what size bowls do u use inrelation to size of snake?

If you are asking me, I just use a tuppaware container that's big enough to fit the snake confortably...

On a side note, isn't it great to have a partner that's equally mad about herps, and doesn't mind me using the kitchen stuff for them??? :lol: :wink:

Bryony, on hot days like yesterday i turn all the heating off. My reptile room gets quiet warm and on a hot day like yesterday if i turn the heating on the thermostats click the heat off by 9am and it doesnt come back on until the evening because the heat in the room rises above what all the thermostats are set to. So because of this i simply switch off the heat.

Liberated said:
How big is she? what size bowls do u use inrelation to size of snake?
She is about 1.2 but thin. The bowl should be big enough for the snake to submerge itself without spillage. I prefere ceramics but they are impractable for larger snakes, so they get plastic storage boxes or kitty litter trays

thanx serpentounge,
thats why i turned it all off too.

anyone use a fan or anything else like what lutzdy does?

Last year I put some fans in the room on cooling stats but this wasn't too successful so this year I am going to modify the wiring on the house cooling so that it automates just for the snake room.

I just buy portable aircondition on wednesday. It works as charm.

Good idea Slateman, i may do the same. I've tried using a fan but all it does is blow the warm air around instead of cooling the room down.

kitty litter trays great idea

Fuscus said:
I prefer ceramics but they are impractable for larger snakes, so they get plastic storage boxes or kitty litter trays

Kitty litter trays... great idea :wink:

serpenttongue said:
Good idea Slateman, i may do the same. I've tried using a fan but all it does is blow the warm air around instead of cooling the room down.

The small one will cost you about 650 and you just run duct out which remooves the hot air out. Duct is 100 mm and you can close it in window. Attachement is provided. I just cut hole through the wall. The aircon have thermostat controll and timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back