Thanx for letting me join your forums

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myradale

Reaction score
Hi all, I appreciate your allowing me to join your forum. I don't actually keep snakes for pets but have a interest in them, in fact I really like them. I live in a rural area and often see various snakes around the property. Just of late there have been a lot more than usual carpet snakes coming in to visit. I know that is because of weather conditions to a large extent but would really like to find out as much as I can about their natural habits. I am interested in finding out anything I can about them. Such as what species might be in this area. I have seen one diamond back python here, in fact it came to stay here for three or four days and I was lucky enough to see him (?) up close while he was here. There is another species here but I dont know what it is. It is much larger and has an irregular pattern on it's body. I'm guessing the female is the larger of the species from what I can make out. A couple of weeks ago I had one large python unknown species here for about a week, then the diamond back arrived and although I'm not sure the two seemed to be quite attached to each other. They spent some time wrapping themselves around each other. Were they mating? I really don't know anything about these pythons but would really really appreciate anyone who might take the time to tell me about them. I live in the Narangba area in Queensland. I hope users don't mind me asking these questions. :) Thanx Myra

Gday Myra,

Welcome to the site!

How lucky are you to have these animals in your backyard for free, most of us fork out heaps of $ to do that!!

As for the Pythons your seeing, i would be surprised if it was a Diamond Python because there range doesnt quite reach Queensland. Some photos would be fantastic! Im guesing Coastel Carpet Python but im not familiar with Narangba??

If they were wrapping themselves around eachother theres every chance they were mating, the breeding season would be finishing about now.

Enjoy your stay here

they are coastal carpets in your area, they come in almost every colour and pattern possible , very variale to say the least.
The two wrapping around each other would of been 2 males combating, when mating they pretty much just lie together in a heap, once the male has enticed her enough.

Thanx for your replies. I do consider my self lucky to be able to observe these creatures up close. They seem almost tame. Yesterday there were two different carpets here, you can walk up and touch them and they dont seem to mind. I have a big shed attached to the back of my place and they are usually up in the rafters there but yesterday were just on the ground in the front yard. Re the Diamond Back Carpet; the snake definately had a clear diamond pattern on its body. There used to be a man across the road from us who bred and kept a wide variety of snakes, sadly he has moved to Innisfail or I would be picking his brain. Wondering if this snake might be an escapee. As for them fighting, they both stayed here for a number of days and were never more than a foot or so apart. Is it true that if there are Carpet snakes around there aren't browns, and red belly blacks? Neighbour tells me she has heaps of the nasty types but never sees a carpet and wanted to take one from here. I refused her offer, her dogs would probably eat it. Will try for photos when next they come to visit. Myra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back