The beginings of my Bredli enclosure.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ellysteaparty

Not so new Member
Reaction score
enclosure pics (8).jpgThought I'd start putting pics up of the DIY enclosure I've started. It started life as a balinese tv cabinet. I've had a couple of hickups already but i'm still happy with progress.:)

001.jpg

Attachments

• enclosure pics (9).jpg
    enclosure pics (9).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
looking good what are the dimensions? i think the date on your camera may be a tad off too.

I'm so lazy I never fix the date after putting batteries back in. Enclosure is 1570mm long, 1020high and 680 deep.I'm hoping to put a lot of branches long ways to make up for enclosure being smaller than I'd like. I'm struggling not to throw sickies at work so I can work on it. I hate that it is just sitting there sometimes. I have a light out where it is but its not good light and I make too many mistakes when working in the dark. Hopefully I'll have another pic up on the weekend.

2, they are a pair that live together already in another enclosure that is nearly the same volume but longer than it is high. I really just want the enclosure they are in now for my BHP - it would be more suitable. Since I'm not in a hurry as they haven't outgrown the enclosure I thought I'd put some effort in to make it more interesting for the Bredli. Do you think it will be too crowded in there for 2?

Ok. I have tried to upload more pics and it wont let me. Keeps shutting down my browser. You might need your imagination to work out how this enclosure turns out.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It done it again.It wont let me upload the pics in the post! So here they are.

another pic of enclosure.jpgI managed to upload a photo i took back on the 30th of April hurray! Looks very different know with vents and more grout. Take some more pics tomorrow:)

Last main coat of grout on the enclosure. Next the bit I've been looking forward to...touch ups and the painting. The vent covers are going on last because I don't want them on the inside incase I choose to change them later. I will take close up shots of the heat mat area and how it is installed and the basking area after I've finished painting-trying to keep those areas clean. Will also show the access points later because I am working on enclosure while it is lying on its back on sheets of foam.

enclosure last grout layer.jpg
16 may enclos..jpg

Last edited:
Wow!!! That looks awesome. I'm too scared to try something so complicated lol.

Believe it or not the hardest bit so far was working out how to get the branches so they lock in perfectly later and sourcing products locally. The rest of the hard stuff has been worked out by everyone else on here who have given it a go. I didn't pay top dollar for products which meant if i stuffed it i threw and didn't feel bad about it...hhhhhmmmm... did that a bit and prob more of that to come still. What is your smallest reptile? Could you start with a small enclosure first? I can't get enough of looking at everyone elses DIY's they are all so different and unique and if your looking you know you want to try it. hehehe

I spent hours watching utube videos before I felt confident to do one on my own. HOURS...

Last edited:
Thanks! It is better to look at with the eye. All the colour changes with my crappy camera.

A lot of people have the same problem, i found i get a 'closer to real' without the flash on and just a background light or even out in the sunshine makes a difference if you can manage to get it out there.

Wow!!! That looks awesome. I'm too scared to try something so complicated lol.

Dont be scared, its really not that hard to get a result that you're happy with, especially with rocks, there is no 'standard' rock, they're all uniques so their perfect for your first attempt, to give your confidence a boost try doing a small hide using an old tissue box or similar as a base. once you have successfully given your mate a new home you'll want to redecorate the whole enclosure.

Elly you've done a fantastic job with the dry brushing, well done, and i agree with the other, more pics please.

enclosure pics selected for upload (3).jpgHide made from expandafoam. I didn't like the expandafoam it made more work and mess than it was worth. Also found it too spongy. Hide is not for this project I was just using up the can because it had to be used up within 48hrs.enclosure pics selected for upload (22).jpgI covered a garden pot with a coles bag. Sprayed foam ontop of pot.After a few minutes when still sticky to touch I covered the pot and foam with another coles bag, pressed down firmly then removed the pot. Tied the bag under enclosure to turn walls inward and left to set. Pic with first coat of grout can be seen in background of my other pic of grass ornament.enclosure pics selected for upload (5).jpgThis is one of three identical tiles I picked up for $2 from the local refuge tip.All three are being painted to match enclosure. Tile can be seen (unpainted)tempararily set up in enclosure in other photos.2 tiles are just spares of course so i never have to search for tiles if one is dropped. The tile is secure once put in shelf. The heat mat sits under this tile and runs through tunnel to back of enclosure. Lead hole can be seen on back of enclosure. Shelf and all other sitting areas are built on the slightest down hill tilt for obvious reasons.
enclosure pics selected for upload (4).jpgJust because I'm anal (this will become more obvious the more I post) I took the corners and edges off the tiles.
enclosure pics selected for upload (19).jpgTile on shelf. ......................more to come slow uploading.....

enclosure pics selected for upload (20).jpglead outlet for heatmat.
enclosure pics selected for upload (21).jpgBack access for the light and ceramic heat lamps. Sitting ontop of the enclosure are my 2 air vent covers that will go on last.
enclosure pics selected for upload (29).jpgThis is the area the heat lamp and light sit in. It has pet mesh (the wire type) as cover. also have a reflector bowl for the heat so it's not sitting flush on wire.
enclosure pics selected for upload (1).jpgThis is the basking area (below the lamp access). It has the light on but photo taken during the day and outside. Basking area will have a small branch in it to allow for closer access for the Bredli.
enclosure pics selected for upload (31).jpg
If you are wondering why I am posting the same photos twice it's because they wont upload like i want them to.
enclosure pics selected for upload (30).jpgHere i have some big foam pallets i picked up for $5 each. Most of foam used for enclosure but was picked up for free from where my local whitegoods are sold. I'm planning on doing half a dozen enclosures at least.
enclosure pics selected for upload (27).jpgClose up of vine I purchased - $15. I'm using this vine because it has a red vein in the leaf. I don't plan on a lot of greenery because of theme so I saved some money bigtime. Below are plants I bought ON SALE from LOOT shop VERY CHEAP. I cut the plant into sections to look like grass.
enclosure pics selected for upload (7).jpgBecause the floor of enclosure needs to be cleanable and all items I want removable if in bottom of enclosure i have used plant ornaments as a way of adding landscape.
enclosure pics selected for upload (6).jpgI left a lot of wire under foam to give more stability. Made a tunnel for wire and used hard as nails to glue it. I made very wide bases because it poops me to have to open enclosures to pick up furniture thats knocked over- i think the key is not weight but python friendly.Mine LOVE exploring. Can also see my tiles in back ground getting first coat of paint.
enclosure pics selected for upload (8).jpgWrapped plants in glad wrap. First coat of grout is on. Made runny to give further coats traction. Can also see first coat of grout went onto the hide in the background. It is not the colour it will end up i just used up left over grout.enclosure pics selected for upload (9).jpgYes I'm female...I changed my mind about this one,added more foam around stem and re-grouted. CAUSE I CAN.

enclosure pics selected for upload (10).jpgYOU GUYS SAID MORE PICS...LOL. Sorry yet?
This is the beginnings of my water bowl. I believe the enclosure is big enough that I'll get away with giving them one thats worth having. I don't have to completely fill it if they aren't shedding. Again trying to produce terrain where possible.
enclosure pics selected for upload (11).jpgenclosure pics selected for upload (12).jpgenclosure pics selected for upload (13).jpgenclosure pics selected for upload (14).jpgenclosure pics selected for upload (15).jpgenclosure pics selected for upload (16).jpgThe cup is for pospective...was a good coffee to but. Outside of bowl was made rough mostly. Inside i made as smooth as possible below the water line for easy cleaning. Made smooth by using sanding disc on my grinder. I didn't make a corner water bowl which would have been easier with square foam but i want nooks and crevices to give to the overall gorge look.
That is why there is blue sky area where tree branch(not shown in pics yet but cut and ready)falls into the crevice(enclosure).
enclosure pics selected for upload (28).jpg
Here are some close ups of some rock work.
enclosure pics selected for upload (17).jpgenclosure pics selected for upload (18).jpg

Before someone asks...no enclosure is not pink - just cheap camera. i am going to get my brother to take a photo with his good camera before I apply the pondtite because i know I will loose detail, colour and texture once it's sealed.

A lot of people have the same problem, i found i get a 'closer to real' without the flash on and just a background light or even out in the sunshine makes a difference if you can manage to get it out there.

Dont be scared, its really not that hard to get a result that you're happy with, especially with rocks, there is no 'standard' rock, they're all uniques so their perfect for your first attempt, to give your confidence a boost try doing a small hide using an old tissue box or similar as a base. once you have successfully given your mate a new home you'll want to redecorate the whole enclosure.

Elly you've done a fantastic job with the dry brushing, well done, and i agree with the other, more pics please.

Decided to give the pics of paint job a go without the flash and a massive storm came over...lol. I'm thinking if I stop buying snakes I could lash out on a nice Nikon Camera.:oops:

Attachments

• enclosure pics selected for upload (1).jpg
    enclosure pics selected for upload (1).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 56
  • enclosure pics selected for upload (6).jpg
    enclosure pics selected for upload (6).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 45
  • enclosure pics selected for upload (7).jpg
    enclosure pics selected for upload (7).jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 50
  • enclosure pics selected for upload (8).jpg
    enclosure pics selected for upload (8).jpg