The Crest of a Boyds Forest Dragon & its use.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southside Morelia

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I thought i'd post a couple of pics of my Boyds Forest Dragons having a friendly wrestle.
I don't know if it's been caught on film before as their pretty secretive. Toad and Saz and a few others may have, but I have never seen any!
Now I know what the crest is used for..lol
1st pic-come here, 2nd pic wanna wrestle, 3rd pic got a cigarette!
Cheers
Scott.

Attachments

• The Courtship.jpg
    The Courtship.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 261
  • bonk 28.5.jpg
    bonk 28.5.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 269
  • bonk 4.jpg
    bonk 4.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 254
Great shots, geez they are nice lizards, they are really growing on me. Starting to see another enclosure being built soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome. Congrats :)
Congratulate the couple not me..lol
I think it's cool to document the actual copulation of the Boyds, I am researching them in captivity so a bit of a milestone for me actually catching them in the act and on film.
I know you like them too, their a cool herp.
Cheers
Scott.

Great shots, geez they are nice lizards, they are really growing on me. Starting to see another enclosure being built soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just wait a bit mrmikk, I may have some for sale! lol

haha. My bad. I retract my previous congratulations and instead offer them, more appropriately, to Mr and Mrs boydii ;-)

I don't think I've seen photos of them mating before either, come to think of it.

Good luck with 'em, Scott... hopefully we'll see you advertising some in the near future ;-)

Congrats Scott, its looking good! Bet your happy :D You let me know if you have any luck with them ;)

haha. My bad. I retract my previous congratulations and instead offer them, more appropriately, to Mr and Mrs boydii ;-)

I don't think I've seen photos of them mating before either, come to think of it.

Good luck with 'em, Scott... hopefully we'll see you advertising some in the near future ;-)
Thanks asp, nice comment! :)
It always makes me chuckle when you read the comment "well done", "good work" etc when animals breed. We don't do the work, that's nature and I can't take the credit, although, good husbandry plays a part i guess!
JMO...

hehe thats cool. do you have lots of leaves in your new enclosure over the palm peat? also when you first put the palm peat in it has a strong smell its a weird smell, that wont harm the littlies will it?

they are awsome shots scott..

hehe thats cool. do you have lots of leaves in your new enclosure over the palm peat? also when you first put the palm peat in it has a strong smell its a weird smell, that wont harm the littlies will it?

they are awsome shots scott..
Hey Julie,
Just an added extra for the aesthetics, I've found palm peat until it gets pretty old looks a bit alien and un-natural, so adding dead leaves like on the forest floor looks more like the natural habitat. LOL, i'm very anal!
What brand of coir or palm peat are you using? I find it has a neautral/earthy smell and not that strong, I wonder if you are getting the one with the slow release fertiliser in it? That's the type you DON'T want as it feeds any bacteria from droppings etc.
Cheers
Scott.

ooohhh i'll have to check that. im not sure, what is a good brand to use? the guy said it is fertiliser free but i'll make sure.

thanks

To be honest, I don't know the brand, it's the only coir block I have seen being sold, so I would assume you have the same brand...
Although in "that" brand, there are 2 types and one of them DOES contain a slow release fertiliser. When I go up the road in the next day or so, i'll suss it out and let you know. If it doesn't smell organic or palmy...lol, if you know that smell, I reckon it's the one with fertiliser.
Cheers
Scott.

real cool do they get freindly like some of the lizards are they hard to care for now ive seen them close up thinking about them .thanks for posting them now i want some

My male is real friendly! I can pat him under his dewlap and he seems to enjoy it or at least tolerate it.
I often feed them by hand and they never run away, although the girl is more timid.
I'm looking forward to having a colony so I can see the hierarchy and interaction there.

Do you get dominance issues or are they only together during the mating season?

Cheers
dave

Do you get dominance issues or are they only together during the mating season?

Cheers
dave
Hey Dave,
These guys have been together all their lives (now 18ish months old) and to be honest have had no issues with dominance over one another...except when feeding, the male is alot more aggressive towards his food and wants to eat first. Other than this, they have lived an unbelievably peaceful lives together. I have heard that males in cohabitation do show this trait though.
Cheers
scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back