Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jellis

Reaction score
How do people on this site feel about people on the dole?
does any one have any ideas on how it should be reformed,
or even if it should / needs to be reformed?

not looking to start to much of a ****** fight but i
suspect this is going to be a touchy topic

cheers josh

the dole serves a great purpose, but there are heaps that are happy to sit on it and not bother working. they dont get much and i dont know how they do it. Is it an important issue? i dont think so! some reforms may be needed but not as extreme as Abbott wants. There are more important issues that abbott should concern himself with, but i think he is just trying to score as many political points as possible to keep gillard on the back foot. but hey, thats politics nowaday isn't it.

Chase

Being on a permanent Disability Support Payment, I find it horribly boring, it would be terrible being on the dole, but chin up, there IS worse! That's why I am so much into my herps and cross stitch

I think the dole should be a stop gap measure only. If there is a job, no matter how menial, it should be taken by any able bodied person on the dole.

I don't think Abbot's work for the dole and relocation allowance is a bad idea. Then again, I think conscription should also be considered for long time dole recipients. I've had to work some pretty nasty jobs to get where I am now, including cleaning toilets and crawling around semi naked in ponds cleaning up mud.

Im on the dole and i see why some sit on it, its like centrelink dont give a toss what you do.
I mean i was working for a company that closed down so i was keen to find more work and they focus on people who have been unemployed for a long time and not those who have freshly lost there jobs.
Which is stupid they should be helping those who are fresh out of work and havent been sitting around for ages slowly losing heart cause some places its hard to find full time employment unless ur 14 and want to work at maccas and in the end you just get sick of the system .

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all political talk. The bottom line is that unemployment is big business, There is a whole employment sector relying on people to be out of work. If you reduce unemployment then the workload for that sector is reduced by the same amount.
The unemployed also help to level the economy.

i have a problem with the people who i know that are dole bludgers.
they are even happy to admit it.
my thoughts are if your able to work you should.
people whinge and bitch about the lack of work in there area.
but are not willing to move for a job.
i think it does need to be reformed.
students, elderly people, and people who are unable to work are the only people who should recieve the dole.

i like the idea of conscription. and if it was compulsary to complete a trade whilst being conscripted it would work perfectly

i wonder if we would still have a skill shortage then

cheers josh

Last edited:
Why have a problem? let them do their thing while your making your living and able to hold your head high. it should be of no concern.

i have a problem with the people who i know that are dole bludgers.
they are even happy to admit it.
my thoughts are if your able to work you should.
people whinge and bitch about the lack of work in there area.
but are not willing to move for a job.
i think it does need to be reformed.
students, elderly people, and people who are unable to work are the only people who should recieve the dole.

i like the idea of conscription. and if it was compulsary to complete a trade whilst being conscripted it would work perfectly

i wonder if we would still have a skill shortage then

cheers josh
So women with small children who's husbands leave them or vise versa should get nothing for their kids or are all single mothers bad women that have babies to get the pension??

Jellis if all the others on your list suddenly found employment the price of basic essentials would become even dearer putting more pressure on those you say deserve it.

How much is the dole worth? How much do you get? I'm sure its bugger all i have never been on the dole and would hate to be on it.

However I'm sure there are bad people on their happy with their 200 bucks a week (not sure but sounds good) and others who can't stand it but

are a little less educated than most find it hard to get work even in a town with lots of no skill jobs, that's who we are going to hurt if we

Take it away or say it's only for 3 months then you're on your own..... We live in Australia the best country in the world with the best social support in the world why do

People try and turn us into the USA where there are two kinds of people haves and have not's.

i am on Newstart (formerly known as the dole) only because of 2 main reasons
1. i want to work but am struggling to get any
2. i qualify for the disability pension but refuse to have it just because my back is shot and i'm an epileptic

i have skills that can be of use but i will never drive so theres an X on the box. my dream job was to get in the RAAF but that will never happen. i don't enjoy not earning my own money and i'm constantly reminded of it everytime i fight with mum.
it's not pleasent and i feel like scum and that theres a giant label on me saying 'lazy ******** here!'

i have cold canvased,applied online, and scoured newspapers for the past 6yrs and i've had 1 job as a school cleaner that i lasted 2mths before i was fired because of post operative pain (3weeks later when i started back) so yeah. i'm happy to work and do anything but it has to be in my capabilities.

so you can generalise those on the dole all you like but what gets me narky is the gits and twats that think we're all the same...lazy and just sit on our butts. well i'm here to say this little black duck isn't, i volunteer and treat that like a job because nothing else has come up and the atmosphere is great. i work 9am-5pm (unless there's nothing for me to do) mondays and fridays and love it.

I think the dole should be a stop gap measure only. If there is a job, no matter how menial, it should be taken by any able bodied person on the dole.

I don't think Abbot's work for the dole and relocation allowance is a bad idea. Then again, I think conscription should also be considered for long time dole recipients. I've had to work some pretty nasty jobs to get where I am now, including cleaning toilets and crawling around semi naked in ponds cleaning up mud.
when u have been on the dole for more then 52 weeks then u have to do one of the following :
get a job , do volertry work [ like for the salvo`s ] or enter into a work for the dole scheme.
jells , unless u are or have been on the dole u have NO idea on how easy/hard it is to get a job .

I don't mind paying for people on a disability pension or the elderly, but what I don't like is people who will work for a short time and then get themselves fired just so they can go back on the dole. In my line of work I get that a lot we put staff on, pay them $700 to $800 a week and then they stop turning up for work and within a month they are back on the dole. These types of ppl never wanted to work in the first place even though they would be $500 to $600 a week better off, also I hate woman having kids just to go on the single parents pension, I know there are ppl that genuinely need it I'm not having a go at u but its the teenagers that go out and have kids just to get $8000 or whatever it is, and just keep having them so they don't have to work, its crap, and then they get discounts to put their kids in childcare while they are down at the pub, or out running around that's what I don't like.

I don't mind paying for people on a disability pension or the elderly, but what I don't like is people who will work for a short time and then get themselves fired just so they can go back on the dole. In my line of work I get that a lot we put staff on, pay them $700 to $800 a week and then they stop turning up for work and within a month they are back on the dole. These types of ppl never wanted to work in the first place even though they would be $500 to $600 a week better off, also I hate woman having kids just to go on the single parents pension, I know there are ppl that genuinely need it I'm not having a go at u but its the teenagers that go out and have kids just to get $8000 or whatever it is, and just keep having them so they don't have to work, its crap, and then they get discounts to put their kids in childcare while they are down at the pub, or out running around that's what I don't like.

You can't put your child in full time child care if you are not working or studying, it is also statistically proven that way more women over the age of 35 with careers and working husbands took advantage of the baby bonus, teenage pregnancy is no higher or lower than it was before the baby bonus. This is just another media perpetrated stereotype to make single mothers look bad, it has been going on for years, since I was young for some reason single parents are the scourge of mankind. There are actually economic papers written advising governments that getting rid of sole parent payments is the easiest way to lower welfare debt as it is the one thing no-one will complain about.

i don't like it either (teens getting knocked up at 14) but all parents can do is educate. i'll never be a parent so i won't get that bonus and never know the pleasures and pains of raising a child and the issues that can arise but i do think if a teenager is going to have a child so young then the baby bonus needs to be given another way not a straight cash injection into the bank.

Why have a problem? let them do their thing while your making your living and able to hold your head high. it should be of no concern.

So you don't have a problem with paying your taxes so some of the dole bludgers can pocket your tax money and do nothing to earn it??

Work for the Dole. Simple, they turn up somewhere to do a bit of work, volunteer, whatever. If they don't turn up for it then they don't get the dole.

I'd like to see drug testing for the dole coming in - plus alcohol etc etc - there's no reason why drug users should use this money for drugs.

I believe those who lose their jobs are entitled to the dole... Those who can't get work need to be trained or work for the dole (even a few hours a week).

centerlink has made it easier for the "dole bludgers" instead of having to go into centerlink and hand in you fornightly job search you do it on the net now and answer a couple of yes or no questions.... way to easy. and then once every 2months hand in a sheet with all the jobs you have looked for in the past 2 months. Its just making it easier for the bludgers they should make it so you have to go in and hand in resume's at shops and get them sign something saying u handed in a resume. Being a new mum the parent pension is very helpful but they should have more things to help new mums look for part time work if they want. I have always had a job since i was 15 and only went 3 months with out work right up till 1 month b4 i had my daughter and i miss being able to work. I dont think there is much anyone is able to do about young teenage pregnancy's maybe lower the baby bonus from 5 grand to maybe 1 grand for girls under the age of 18 and only in small payments or some kind of discount for formula and baby clothes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back