The girls are back in town!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

The local creek RBB females are begining to arrive back at their usual brumation. Here's the first (of up to five last year), a 2 year old female (720mm). I'll get some more update pics as things progress. I really enjoy seeing my girls together again:)!

Apologies for the crappy pics.

Attachments

• Tilly 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilly 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Tilly 011 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilly 011 [1600x1200].jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 209
  • Tilly 009 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilly 009 [1600x1200].jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 222
Good to see Richard, I could almost drive down to go check them out;)

Same animal from earlier and the largest of the local females has taken up residence. I've followed her for the last 4 years. One of the site; nice North West facing rockwall.

Attachments

• Tilly 2 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilly 2 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Tilly 2 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilly 2 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Tilly 2 007 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilly 2 007 [1600x1200].jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 98
Ha ha ha ha You're a stalker :p AND you take pictures :lol:
It would be interesting to have "stalked" those females for
so long :) and even better to have noted their growth etc

I'm also a groper! I've handled all the girls at least twice over the last few years. It dosen't seem to bother them much anymore. "Not him, again". The funniest was when two tried to escape down the same small hole, but both at the same time and I was able to tail both. They just hung there, one in each hand, looking across at eachother:)! Being canabalistic, one thing that's suprised me is that animals of differing sizes choose to brumate together.

Ha ha ha ha ha well you must have "the touch" I may sound silly, but perhaps they are related and/or are familiar with each others scent?

Not silly at all, Crystal, it wouldn't suprise me is they were related and they are certainly familiar with eachother. Most of the warmer months, they disperse along the creekline and sometimes a few of them can be found basking together at another site right next to the creek. It's a bike jump, man made from a pile of earth and logs, but now overgrown with blackberries.

You have a lovely harem...

Good stuff over 4 years! Props to the groping stalker... do they have any identifying marks/scars etc? Just wondering how you IDing 'your' gals?

Damn that you didn't catch the 'burrow malfunction' on vid... sounds like a pearler... I think you need a vid assistant, then you can catch all the dirty action ;)

Ha Ha, Yes , a few lost scales and various I.Dable scars helps, particularly with the younger, smaller animals as they do all of the growing. I haven't measured the bigger female, yet, this season, but for the past two years, she's shown negligable growth.

I wish I'd done a degree; I really enjoy this stuff!

If anyone can, you can, Nigel:). Both your RBB's and Tigers would love it! Universal Rocks used to have a few really speccie units available, pity they moved OS:(.

Don't forget the pics if you do, mate!!

Ha Ha. This is cool I.V. I reckon if I head up that way, I might have to pay you a visit:D

Another update of a few more arrivals. All five animals are there now, though I only caught three this morning.

Attachments

• Tilly 3 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilly 3 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Tilly 3 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilly 3 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Tilly 3 012 [1600x1200].jpg
    Tilly 3 012 [1600x1200].jpg
    282 KB · Views: 58
It must be nice being able to monitor them in their natural enviroment and see them survive the elements :)

You are now dubbed the Sheik of Red Belly Creek :p Ok I will be serious now IV, you must be one happy fellow to have all your Girl's home to stalk and grope.... Hang about I mean watch and monitor :) I hope you keep us updated with pics and info :)

Im sure this is happening all over the South ATM with various species, so if you live near any north facing potential sites, please check them out and post here:)!

The interesting thing is that I've been told by those snako's at the local Uni that RBB's will only gather in groups of pregnant females just before the birthing period (like creche's, I guess)? I think this is based on a study conducted locally by Rick Shine back in the late 70's.

its cool to watch what wild ones do,used to get a similar situation at the folks place with eastern blueys,compost heaps,the grass clipping section,they love to winter there,once it warms up they spread out,in winter the clippings can get quite warm,so they crawl out and and lay on the ground to actually keep cool,lol,counted 12 of them on one day from juvie to adult size.mostly adults though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back