The knob tail thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamsMice

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls. Around a year now, I Wanted to get some knobbies but I want to get as much info before I go rushing in too get them I think it's time to get a pair so please please post a picture of your knobbies tank and gecko. Any info is appreciated like what they eat besides crickets,mealworm ect.
When do they breed. Anything is apperciated also the patternless there not specially breed are they there just like an albino if you lucky you might just get one with no pattern?

Last edited:
Ok well let me just decode your writing first.

I will post a pic in a little bit.

They mostly eat crickets and cockroaches, mealworms are supposedly nutritionally low and supposedly may cause increased risk of impaction. Mine love cockroaches, large ones just make them super and exited and they love smashing them. Other people have told me theirs only eat crickets though.

They copulate in about late spring and start laying a little while before Christmas. Like most geckos they lay 2 eggs per clutch, they can lay multiple clutches per season, up to maybe 10 max.

The last part of your post is confusing. Albinos are specially bred. Patternless are specially bred. But they both also originated from the luck of the trait appearing in a collection or being brought in from outside and these animals being bred for the trait specifically. So yes you could get normals and hope to get a patternless lucky shot which would be extremely lucky, or you could buy a patternless which are rather expensive and breed that. Patternless are by the way referred to as Jellybeans.

The paternless have a gene just like the albino.
They eat crickets and woodies, mealworms arent good as they are slow and therefore not so visually stimulating, also they always dig into the sand.
I'd post a pic of mine but the uploaders being a pain.

Oh right didn't now meallies were not so good,
Oh well but right I understand the albino/patternless side now.
But there some great info there, yer sometime the uploader won't let me upload I though it was just mine.

They copulate in about late spring and start laying a little while before Christmas. Like most geckos they lay 2 eggs per clutch, they can lay multiple clutches per season, up to maybe 10 max.

Interesting, the banded knob tails we were just recently catching/relocating in the Pilbara were still gravid, only a number of weeks ago, is this down to the different species, or the different climatic conditions experienced within both captivity and also the East coast?

View attachment 205784

Not sure, I have not kept bandeds in captivity and have only bred my N.levis once so I am not the most appropriate person to comment on the breeding part I just thought a general sort of time period would be a good start block for information. I hope someone with more knowledge with me reads this as I am curious to know also.
Oh just thought I should add how jealous I am that you get to see N. wheeleri in the wild (or any Knobtails. :p)

The knobtails were great, but I think the highlight was the wild Acanthophis wellsii :)

caught and relocated a few perentie's, some other skinks and geckoes, gotta post my pics up here soon lol, all while getting paid for it ;)

patternless knobbies as said above are a genetic trait / morph .... bred a few this year

Ohh right, knobbies seem right for me as I want a gecko that digs and when you put food in there and you see them go crazy and catch their food and they look cool.

seems your off to a good start with knowing what your after , very easily maintained animals and as you probably guessed my favourites ...... Just be warned starts with one or two and turns into a dozen real quick ... or 100 :lol:

Ohh right, knobbies seem right for me as I want a gecko that digs and when you put food in there and you see them go crazy and catch their food and they look cool.

Its pretty awesome watching them catch their food, but the digging part sucks IMO. They're very secretive, mine is always either in his cave or underground. I dont see why people say they need 2ft tanks, mine just needs something big enough for a cave really!

Yer I don't know how I'm going to stop at a pair lol but I didn't Mean literally go 'crazy' not like run around In circles lol more want i meant is catches there own food except go to thier food bowl And eat I'm love watching them stalk there food. Any one have pic, vids please share.

Oh there we got haha 800$ wish I had some money, how much do the patternless go for. I would ask kupper nicely for pic but his gone offline haha:(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back