Thermostat and heat cord for GTP Hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonstone

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just in the middle of setting up a tub for a Native GTP hatchling I'll be receiving in 2-3 weeks. Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable Thermostat and heat cord combo?

Don't wanna break the bank as I just spent the money on the snake :)

I am not sure if I am supposed to endorse particualr brands? However my general rule of thumb is I don't skimp on heating etc, I know nothing is fool proof. You get what you pay for is my motto, I get what you're saying though :)

I bought a cheap heat cord from reptile direct and used a B1 dimming thermostat because I had one that I wasn't using but think any thermostat would work fine as I have used a cheap one for another cord that worked fine.
I also built something for mine that insulated the whole top and three sides of one end with the base and end wall both heated with a cord under tile.

It's wise to get a good quality thermostat that is probably going to be more reliable than the cheap ones.
I've found Habistat to be a good and reliable moderately priced thermostat. The rubber coated, flexible, grey, heat cord that is readily available is pretty good and has the advantage of being water-resistant, which is helpful with this species.

It's wise to get a good quality thermostat that is probably going to be more reliable than the cheap ones.
I've found Habistat to be a good and reliable moderately priced thermostat. The rubber coated, flexible, grey, heat cord that is readily available is pretty good and has the advantage of being water-resistant, which is helpful with this species.
Microclimate B1 thermostats are also supposed to be good quality at a reasonable price but I have had two go faulty leaving full power onto the heat source and have heard of a few more people having the same problem. Most thermostats will have a 6 month warranty meaning that the company thinks that the majority will last over that time and that is all you really need for a hatchling tub running cord and that is why I think for the purpose cheap ones are fine but if you need the thermostat for the full-time enclosure as well maybe buy a decent dimming thermostat.

Okay guys, thanks. A quick google shows these around $100, thats not too bad. I also found Ecotech, does anyone own these? I like the LED display.

Okay guys, thanks. A quick google shows these around $100, thats not too bad. I also found Ecotech, does anyone own these? I like the LED display.
$100 will only be an on/off type which you can only use on a cord or CHE or mat but if you intend on using it for a light will not be the best option, you will need a dimming thermostat which will be $125 up depending where you get it. The ECOtech ones are the cheaper variety that I was talking about for around $60 and I hacve one , the thermostat still seems to work but the screen has gone dull which I have heard happens to most after three months.

My intended use is just heat as I wont be needing any light as it'll be in the tub for a while :)

Habistats are excellent. However remember that your little GTP will spend most of it's time on a perch and while heat chords are great for warming the floor of an enclosure (eg good for terrestrial species) and can work well in a relatively enclosed rack system, they're often not an ideal way to get high ambient temperatures on a perch..at least not without causing a very hot spot on the floor. It depends a bit on where you live and the natural ambient temperature but I'd do a bit of research to see if this will be the best method for you. Hatchies often do well in plastic click clacks placed inside another enclosure that operates at a stable temperature for instance.

I live on the Gold Coast so its fairly warm, winter is low 20's. I'm currently just going off research I've been doing plus the breeders recommendations.

Heat cord with a small layer of water in the plastic tub to maintain humidity.

Thanks for everyones advice so far, keep it coming :)

This is the setup that I made and I live half way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast so similar temperatures.
jy2e3ava.jpg
tusa2ete.jpg
behy2yhy.jpg

The heat cord and tile is under 1/3 of the tub and up the end and I found that I had good temperatures on the perch without a hot floor. The insulated lid that I also made helped keep the heat in so the cord was not running as much.

Edit: I have heard of the over water method which is apparently quite good but my breeder said that they do not need that much moisture and I did not even have sphagnum as you can see but sprayed every two to three days and had no troubles with my one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back