Thermostat & Lights in Enclosure...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Already_Gone

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just about to wire up my new enclosure. I will be having 3 of the 4 enclosures running off the same thermostat. I was just wondering how to wire this. My friends dad is a sparky so he is doing it for me. My main concern is that if the bulb in the enclosure with the thermostat blows, will this one become too hot?? The 2 larger enclosures are 4x2x2 and the 2 smaller ones are 2x2x2. The smaller ones have a 40W infra-red and the bottom one has a 60W infra-red.

Is there a way to wire it so if the bulb in the enclosure with the probe blows, none of the lights come on but the circuit is not affected if one of the other bulbs blow???

I have to say that staining and varnishing the damn thing wasnt the most exhilarating experience of my life!!!

Ta

Your enclosures look great - you must be very proud of them.

I would be lashing out and getting separate thermostats for each level. (The high quality IMIT thermostats from the Herp Shop are about $35 each - cheap if you consider the value of what is going to live in them!)

For the two that are side by side you can get away with one thermostat privided they are wired the same and there are similar heat factors affecting each of them. You will get into trouble for instance if you put your heat source up one end of the larger enclosures... as you would looking for a nice thermal gradient from on end to the other.... thinking about it get a thermostat for each enclosure - it is just not worth the risk!

You might get some ideas from the tiled enclosure page I put together on the "Links & Care Sheets" page on the Herp Shop web site. I am guessing you do not want to tile them but there are alternative heat sources that rarely fail such as heat tape and some of the better ceramic heat emitters.

hmmmm... good point!!!

Well, I was lookin at the IMIT ones, only prob is that I just received my order from the herpshop today. Do you think I could swap the THAT040 one I got today for 2 IMIT ones and make up the difference? I only need 2 atm cause the bottom enclosure will be empty for now!!

They do have to be wired in AG but if you're having a sparky do it they won't be a problem for him. The wiring is very simple indeed.

only prob is that I just received my order from the herpshop today. Do you think I could swap the THAT040 one I got today for 2 IMIT ones and make up the difference?

Give Brian at The HerpShop a ring. I am sure he will be very accommodating. :D

Cheers, Jude

I agree the enclosure look tops, as a rule (but more costly ) I would put a Basic wall thermostat in each compartment 1) keeps control individually (it would be had to regulate the top enclosure as heat rises) and 2) you will not have the problem with a light blowing for the sake of around $120.00 (for 4 at Brisbane snake catchers) it worth it.

hmmmm.... damn I wish I had of posted this a week ago. I really really really wanted it wired up this weekend... dammit!!!! thats all I can say right now!!! Its a pretty obvious solution when I sit down and think about it!! This will also make it easier when we switch to ceramics to!! Geez I can be dumb sometimes!!! lol

Re: RE: Thermostat & Lights in Enclosure...

Already_Gone said:
I can get digital ones the same as the IMIT ones for $45... and I can have em by Tues... providing there is some coming in!!

I don't consider that there would be much extra value in digital ones. The basic thermostats such as the IMIT's which work on a small gas filled pillow that expands and contracts with temperature changes to activate the thermostat are simple and reliable.

One advantage with the probe thermostats is that you don't always need a sparky to wire them up. You can plug a pre wired heat mat or radiant heat panel directly into them so there is no wiring required.

RE: Re: RE: Thermostat & Lights in Enclosure...

I was just chatting with Brian. He stopped carrying a line of digital thermstats because they were unreliable. The ones that he carried had 30% chance of flattening batteries repeatedly and very quickly leading to spurious operation. This particular one was white and about the size of an IMIT and sold in a bubble pack. He stopped carrying them.

IMHO if you are using a thermostat that requires a battery you are asking for trouble. It is going to fail on you one day and if it fails in the on position you are going to cook your herp.

It is worth remembering that none of the basic thermostats were designed for herp enclosures. Some of the designs out there are more suited than others to herp enclosure use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back