They who must not be named...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LullabyLizard

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Cane toads....

Right now I'm in a place called Agnes Water. It's about 1.5 hours north of Bundaburg. I can't believe how many toads there are! It's devastating. I've heard they're in Kakadu. They've spread so quickly. It's just a mater of tine until they're in Sydney. Sorry... My rant.

Arrrrrghhh!! :evil:

Cane toads....

Right now I'm in a place called Agnes Water. It's about 1.5 hours north of Bundaberg. I can't believe how many toads there are! It's devastating. I've heard they're in Kakadu. They've spread so quickly. It's just a mater of tine until they're in Sydney. Sorry... My rant.

Fixed that for you, Sweetheart.;)

Just read they found a toad that had hitchhiked from qld to tassie in a shipping container. Bloody ugly pests....

Every time my uncle comes up from Sydney he's amazed at how many we have hopping around on the verandah. Good thing he never goes snooping in the chest freezer....

Cane toads....

Right now I'm in a place called Agnes Water. It's about 1.5 hours north of Bundaburg. I can't believe how many toads there are! It's devastating. I've heard they're in Kakadu. They've spread so quickly. It's just a mater of tine until they're in Sydney. Sorry... My rant.

Yeah they will take a lot longer to come down here, they need to adapt to the cold first. I was recently in kakadu and it's sad how many there are.

Problem is there are alot of native frogs that look like toads that get run over, but also asper. On the roads at night asper look like cane toads, so I'd like to see how many of them get killed every year.

When I was in the Gulf of Carpentaria for 5 years, I noticed that the local hawks and crows would pick the toads up, drop them from great height then flip the toads open and eat the contents without any fatalities to them(the birds) I was impressed with the efficiency in which they performed this act. I have heard some people disbelieve what I have stated, however I was not the only person to witness it.
Crystal

When I was in the Gulf of Carpentaria for 5 years, I noticed that the local hawks and crows would pick the toads up, drop them from great height then flip the toads open and eat the contents without any fatalities to them(the birds) I was impressed with the efficiency in which they performed this act. I have heard some people disbelieve what I have stated, however I was not the only person to witness it.
Crystal

I haven't heard of raptors doing it, but crows definately. Populations of predators of toads tend to drop for a period of time after they arrive but then they adapt and build the populations back up.

When we lived in qld for a couple of years I was quite shocked at how many of the locals just accept them & don't really do a lot to try & get rid of them. I know the problems quite overwhelming but if you spend an hour a night humanely culling them you do notice a definate difference in numbers. We were living on a large property with a creek that ran all the way through our farm so we had them everywhere but found after 2 yrs of regularly culling the adults numbers were dropping.

Crystal

Theres a few birds that do that. Good to see some creatures can get a feed out of them.

When we lived in qld for a couple of years I was quite shocked at how many of the locals just accept them & don't really do a lot to try & get rid of them. I know the problems quite overwhelming but if you spend an hour a night humanely culling them you do notice a definate difference in numbers. We were living on a large property with a creek that ran all the way through our farm so we had them everywhere but found after 2 yrs of regularly culling the adults numbers were dropping.

There is an organization called Conservation Volunteers http://www.conservationvolunteers.com.au/aboutus.html that runs a weekly Toad Busting night throughout the summer months.
All members of the general public are more than welcome to come along and help collect.
They take care of the humane destruction and disposal of these pests.

What does humane culling entail? I imagine it would be pretty time consuming...?

What does humane culling entail? I imagine it would be pretty time consuming...?

I'm told that the collected animals are culled at the end of the night...as to the exact details of how that is accomplished I have no idea..except that I was told it was "humane" and being a partially government funded organization my guess it would have to deal with the toads in a way that would meet RSPCA guide lines.

HEH EHH HEHHH I first read HUMAN culling and thought.....WHAT a great idea, then actually calmed down and read your post properly
Hmmm I just think off with their heads, sorry I am not very compassionate where cane toads are concerned

Yeah I don't think man people are compassionate towards them but being hit with a golf club probably isn't a real nice way to go. Especially for an animal who was just happily living its life in a place that WE put it. I guess gassing wouldn't work too well though so yeah I'd like to hear how people do it

Or, more specifically, how the RSPCA says you should do it

HEH EHH HEHHH I first read HUMAN culling and thought.....WHAT a great idea, then actually calmed down and read your post properly
Hmmm I just think off with their heads, sorry I am not very compassionate where cane toads are concerned

True that!

I'm more than likely to swerve to the opposite side of the road to line one up with my front wheels.

*giggles*

Cane toads make bad drivers.

True that!

I'm more than likely to swerve to the opposite side of the road to line one up with my front wheels.

*giggles*

Cane toads make bad drivers.
Had visual of toads driving lining peop's up to run over them ROFLMFAO sorry its raining and I am entertaining myself(sad when one cracks one's self up lol)

Had visual of toads driving lining peop's up to run over them ROFLMFAO sorry its raining and I am entertaining myself(sad when one cracks one's self up lol)

*dies in a fit of uncontrollable laughing*

I wonder if they need a booster seat to see over the dash?

*dies in a fit of uncontrollable laughing*

I wonder if they need a booster seat to see over the dash?
Well one MUST be safe, so I'd say booster seat with shoulder straps and AIR bags(see toads fly through open windows from impact of airbags AND incorrect seat belts!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back