Thicktailed gecko advice please I think may be unwell:(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuddly_pony

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Flow is about 3 and a half and is a female thicktailed Gecko, housed with another thicktailed male.
The past three days I have noticed that flow has been sitting in her laying box not moving but occasionally changing positions. Her belly is a little bit swollen and I had a look at it today but couldnt see any obvious signs that she was gravid and haven't seen her mating at all.
I am really worried that she has gut impaction but my other gecko has never had any problems with the red desert sand before so I am not sure. I read in "Keeping Australian Gecko's" By Rob Porter that you could administer a mild laxative to help with gut impaction such as vegetable oil so to be on the safe side I gave about two drops of extra light olive oil on her nose that she licked off.
I am more than willing to take her to the vet tomorrow if needed but before I did that I thought I would ask all of you experienced reptile people!!
Thanks so much in advance everyone!!

if you pick her up and look on the underneath of her you will clearly see 2 eggs if she is gravid, i had one that spent a whole day or more in the laybox and did nothing she just seemed to want to hang out there, but nothing was wrong with her as she went about her usual business the next day.I keep mine on sand , you wont see mating most of the time its done at night but if you are in the room you will hear it .They are anything but quiet ! I cant really help you with gut impaction as ive not experienced it with my geckos.

How much fat is on her tail? take a pic of her and post it. She may be hiding from the male as he will try and mate with her constantly, thus I recommend keeping them seperate.

Hey thanks for that I picked her up today and looked at her underside but there were def no eggs. I will take a pic now and post it:)

grrrr my camera isnt working but mum is home tonight so will take one on her phone and email it and then post it. If her tail is fat what could that mean? Sorry if its an obvious question!!

grrrr my camera isnt working but mum is home tonight so will take one on her phone and email it and then post it. If her tail is fat what could that mean? Sorry if its an obvious question!!

A nice fat tail generally means a nice healthy gecko .

ahh ok I was getting worried coz her tail is quite fat I was thinking omg shes really sick!! thats a bit of a sigh of a relief but wont get to excited till I post photos

still no good :( am taking her to vet on monday so we will see how we go :(
reptile rookie I supose it depends on the gecko but usually reach full length at about two but someone correct me if I am wrong.........
does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back