Things you really need to know

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol Slatey. You funny thing. I don't mind I know you're kidding >wink<

here are some adjustments to the things we need to know:

"golf" is not an acronym for "gentlemen only, ladies forbidden."
Like most modern words, the word "golf" derives from older languages and dialects. In this case, the languages in question are medieval Dutch and old Scots. The medieval Dutch word "kolf" or "kolve" meant "club." It is believed that word passed to the Scots, whose old Scots dialect transformed the word into "golve," "gowl" or "gouf."

By the 16th Century, the word "golf" had emerged.)

Coca-Cola was originally green.
(Status: False.

Origins: Though this tidbit of knowledge has been widely spread at no time in Coca-Cola's history has it been green. The original formula called for caramel to give Coca-Cola its rich brown color, and although the recipe has undergone some changes through the years, none of them affected the ultimate color of the product.

(Brown also hides impurities in any given batch, something the backroom chemist who invented Coca-Cola in 1886 kept well in mind as he proceeded with his formulation. These days syrup producers and bottlers have no impurities to hide, but back in the "three copper kettles in somebody's basement" days, covering up what might have inadvertently dropped into the mix was a concern, and brown hid indiscretions remarkably well.)

Coke has at times been bottled in green glass bottles, which perhaps explains the popularity of this particular rumour.

It is not impossible to lick your elbow.
(it bloody well is you joker :)

The youngest pope was 11 years old.
The myth sown by anti-Catholics that the youngest man ever elected pope was just eleven or twelve years old -- and he is sometimes named as Benedict IX.

The truth, however, is found in the Catholic Encyclopedia and in an article from a "Defending the Faith" site (by Fr. Joseph Brusher, S.J.), from which I have taken these excerpts:
[Source I] "The nephew of his two immediate predecessors, Benedict IX [became pope] when a mere youth, not, however, apparently of only twelve years of age ... but of about twenty (October, 1032).")

Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:

Spades - King David

Hearts - Charlemagne

Clubs -Alexander, the Great

Diamonds - Julius Caesar
(not on mine, i have the iraqi deck)

Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
(not if you are underneath it, if you view clockwise from the top, then you would view it anti-clockwise from the bottom)

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
(not as efficient as a good kick in the butt)

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets. or flugelbinders
(do you know people still don't believe me about flugelbinders?)

The first owner of the Marlboro Company died of lung cancer. (good, he flelling doomed enough others to it)

A duck's quack doesn't echo and no one knows why. (I'm guessing they proved that it only appears that way because not many ducks hang around in caves)

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump. (most sea creatures and crustaceans cannot jump either)

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
('cos it looks cuter on women.hahaha)

No word in the English language rhymes with "MONTH."
(or silver or purple, scottish english has the only rhyme for purple, hirple=to limp)

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
(but he doesnt care because he'll get that steve irwin in a death roll one day!!)

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow. (i didn't) lol
MM

I didnt lick my elbow either (but i have tried it before and failed :))

Very interesting guys. Thanks for these very important things :)

MM you actually took the time to search all those quotes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back