This a good home for a Bobtail?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 30368

Reaction score
I bought this cage for a future bobtail and wanted people's oppinions on it. its 100cm x 50cm. I was going to put a heat ceramic emiter at the back, right hand side (running 24-7) along with a UV lamp (that will go off at night). Of corse there will be more hides and logs etc in there and i'll put a black stone under the heat lamp to absorb the heat for it bask on. The reason i bough this light weight plastic cage was so i could take it outside each day and put it in a sunny spot so the bobtail can have some natural UV rays (half of the cage will be shaded/covered when i do this). The bottom is coveren in natural clay kitty litter and the lamps will rest on top of the cage. So what do ya think??

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 165
I think its a amazing idea
where did you buy this and how much
only bad thing i can think of is the heat wont stay in but im not a expert

I think its a amazing idea
where did you buy this and how much
only bad thing i can think of is the heat wont stay in but im not a expert

Its a rabbit/rat/guinea pig cage from my local pet store. $150. I know it wont keep the heat in like a wood one, but i'd keep the heat lamp on 24-7, and bobtails are native to my area. So if it lives wild in my back yard, it'll do fine in my spare bedroom (thats what i tell myself, anyway) :)

Did you get my pm about where you could get a bobtail from? :)

That design is actually quite good for bobtails in Perth. Yours is about the minimum size you would want to use with an adult. So, as you have said, provide different hide spots and objects that the lizard can spend time investigating. Also make sure there is always fresh, cool water available. I am certain you will but it does not hurt to state for the sake of others reading the thread. In spring and autumn you would put them out late morning to midday and in summer early to mid-morning. Please note that they should never be left entirely unattended for the time they are in full sun. Regular checks are recommended, most particularly during hotter weather, to ensure the lizards are not getting over-heated.

If you are able to give your lizard exposure to natural sunlight 3 to 4 hours a week, you will not need a UV light source. If not, then bear in mind that lizards expect light and heat and UV all in the one package. So if you are providing a separate UV source, it needs to overlap with the basking lamp, as synthesis of vitamin D3 in the skin is only efficiently achieved when the lizard is at its preferred body temperature.

If you are keeping the animals indoors, there is no need for supplementary heating at night. I have a good mate who keeps his in a similar container with no artificial heating but daily exposure to sun when available and nighttimes in the shed. They produced two beautiful babies last summer, much to his surprise. I would simply suggest that you give it a go without any night time heating and see how the lizards cope. If you are not happy then install a heat source for night use. I would recommend a 15W heat cord rather than a ceramic heat emitter. If you require information on how to set it up just PM or check out the threads on it.

Good luck with your purchase.
Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back