Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheMan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Im not asking for your herping spots where you have seen Tiger Snakes, Im just wanting to know how common/rare they are here? Would it be like trying to find a Coastal Taipan here? In one of my herp books, it names a few spots here on the coast, but am yet to try them out, Tigers are one of my favourite snakes, and would love to see one in the wild, wouldn't have the slightest clue what their numbers are like.
If any one has seen some here, some pics would be great!
Cheers, Dan.

DAN they are really patchy in the SE you may wanna take a trip to the BUNYA mountains and do a spot of herping there you may get lucky ..have not seen one in wild myself around se ,qld but also been spoted at Maryborough, they are diurnal so you might get lucky mate :)

Might have to go there if i dont get any joy at Caloundra or Beerwah (which is what my book says), thanks for that!

DSCF0751.jpg

I know this one isnt in the wild, but can see why you love them .........:)

G'day mate,

QLD Tigers are pretty rare, but if you look in the right areas you will find them. They are definitely easier to find than Coastal Taipans.

Weather is warming up real good Jonno...and in another month or so "a ' PANNING 'we shall go ,high ho high ho"......hope you get to play with some too:)...

Well the book was right, theres a tiger at Beerwah! Lol that pics from Australia Zoo isn't it?
Thats my mission for this summer, cheers guys.

Well the book was right, theres a tiger at Beerwah! Lol that pics from Australia Zoo isn't it?
Thats my mission for this summer, cheers guys.
:lol::lol:thats right Dan lmao your book didnt lie to you after all ,,,,,,,,what book is it ?

The new edition of Wildlife Of Greater Brisbane. Says that there's also Black Whip Snakes at Beerwah, another favourite, might have to make a trip there next weekend.

yes but remember there is the greater black whip snake..demansia papuensis...and , what we do have here is the lesser black whip snake demansia vestigiata....so infact your book is correct if its just said black whip snake :)....good luck with your hunt ......

Hi all,

The presence of Demansia vestigiata in South East Queensland is something I find fairly interesting, I know one person whom found one in the early 80's and thats it. There have been reports of sloughs being found in that area (and others from around ipswich) more recently, however with the overlapping scale counts between the species complex pssamophis these should not be regarded as confirmed records.

Has anyone got photographic evidence of either live or dead D. vestigiata from the SunShine Coast region recently???

Cheers,
Scott

Scott,

A good mate of mine has found a few around Beerwah. Like you've been told, I am fairly certain I found a slough close by. I was with Danny Brown when I found it, and it keyed out to be nothing but D.vestigiata or the biggest D.psammophis ever recorded. The skin itself would have been atleast 5 foot long and was missing most of the tail.

so you saying there hasnt been a sighting of a lesser black whip in se qld in 20 years scott?...

I have personally relocated 2 black whips from Peregian on the sunny coast over the years, both in the early 2000's.
Ive also seen 3 tigers on the sunny coast.
As jonno has said taipans seem to be more rare, well alot more elusive anyway.

Jonno,

Shed skin's stretch by up to 50%...so a 5 ft skin is within the realm of a large pssamophis.

Rob,
If you have removed 2 specimens in the past 8 years from there then it seems they are still around be it in small numbers.

Red Belly bite,

I am not say one has not been sighted I was unsure of any confirmed reports

I was wondering if they where in the same boat as Hemiaspis daemelli (known from vagrant specimens as opposed to residents)

Cheers,
Scott

I haven't seen any tigers here in QLD yet, did see lots when I was in SA. Tigers are cool temperature snakes so you might stand a better chance up on the mountains behind Kenilworth. If nothing else its a good drive!

I did see a snake that MIGHT have been Tiapan on the Yandina - Bli-Bli road about a week ago. Very fast and very shy. Your best bet to see tiapans are cool but sunny mornings near the edges of cane fields.

Good Luck

there are a couple of pockets of tigers living right on the coast, well east of the hinterland.
There is an area around cooroy where taipans can be found. An old school herper friend of mine,(who knows his snakes more than most people in the country), knows exactly when and where to find them.

Thanks guys, I have also herd of a few D. vestigiata relocations on the coast. I also know someone that has found a Tiger here on the coast with photographic evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back