Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a few anecdotal stories of some tigers a bit further north up here in hervey bay and maryborough. May be worth a look, this is a good time of year to be seeing them, and if you spend some time around point vernon in hervey bay in the bush areas, i reckon you would spot a few different snakes

dan, ask matt. he has found some and I am sure he will take you to the spot he has seen them next time you are out herping with him

Thats who I was reffering to lol

I have had a few anecdotal stories of some tigers a bit further north up here in hervey bay and maryborough. May be worth a look, this is a good time of year to be seeing them, and if you spend some time around point vernon in hervey bay in the bush areas, i reckon you would spot a few different snakes

I was staying in Hervey Bay with my mate and his dad for a weekend and his dad thinks he saw a Tiger Snake, he said it wasn't moving very fast and he got a good look at it, and he said that it looked exactly like the pic in my reptile book.

dantheman yeah I have heard a few stories of them on the edges of town and the farms in town. Point vernon which extends out to the bush and toogom is the most likely place to see them. I don't go bashing through the bush as much as I did in Sydney.

It's been a big learning curve moving up here and being confronted with so many critters, even the grass hoppers have an attitude and plenty of size

There's no confirmed Tiger Snakes from Maryborough/Hervey Bay. I believe the most northern population is the animals that occur at Carnarvon Gorge.

here's a good place, the pipe forest behind the Australian Zoo....or try Mount Tamborine is also where we have found a couple

You will probably find a few taipans around the sugar cane growing areas of Queensland as they thrive on introduced rats and mice. Most herpetologists capture most specimens around wind rows, which are found in newly cleared areas. This species is caught in large numbers around Jullaten, north of Cairns. We have plenty of Tiger snakes here in Victoria.. Preferred habitats are those which have large number of frogs. Around river flats and grassy areas are a good place to look. Tiger snakes do come out at night, particularly juiveniles. The abundance of cane toads up there wouldn't help the population of some snakes. Tiger snakes are plentiful down here in Melbourne.

I was staying in Hervey Bay with my mate and his dad for a weekend and his dad thinks he saw a Tiger Snake, he said it wasn't moving very fast and he got a good look at it, and he said that it looked exactly like the pic in my reptile book.

Its the same for a lot of species - people will tell you till their blue in the face their 110% positive
its such and such a species cow cockies are often the worst for it they often seem to think living
in the one place for 20 generations makes them indisputable experts on the local fauna.

Theres plenty of tiger snake looking snakes around Hervey Bay area, as in banded patterned.

I hope you do find yourself a SEQ tiger snake, target appropriate habitat - take some photos
i would like to see them, as the few photos ive seen of Tiger down there have all be extremely
nice looking animals.

Matt.

Its the same for a lot of species - people will tell you till their blue in the face their 110% positive
its such and such a species cow cockies are often the worst for it they often seem to think living
in the one place for 20 generations makes them indisputable experts on the local fauna.

Theres plenty of tiger snake looking snakes around Hervey Bay area, as in banded patterned.

I hope you do find yourself a SEQ tiger snake, target appropriate habitat - take some photos
i would like to see them, as the few photos ive seen of Tiger down there have all be extremely
nice looking animals.

Matt.

Thats true, he's not exactly a snake expert either. Could have been a banded Rough-Scaled...

I have a few places to look now, so will go out next weekend, will defintley get some pics.
Cheers, Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back