To all frill neck keepers/breeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt74

Not so new Member
Reaction score
G'day to all,

After a year of following the posts/discussions on this site I finally created a profile and joined up. I've always had an interest in reptiles, at the moment I only have two Saw shell turtles, in the past I've had blue tongues and a beardy.*

In a few weeks time I might, if all goes well, get an opportunity to get a juvie frill neck lizard so I thought I'd throw some questions out to the frill neck lizard owners/breeders on this site. I've surfed the entire Internet gathering as much info as I can on frillies, read the all the care sheets I can find and come across a lot of useful information. However, I would like to grab some opinions from the guys and girls on this site regarding their experiences and what they have found has worked for them in regards to their frill necks.

I've already purchased an enclosure 1200mm high, 600mm deep and 900mm wide so the enclosure decision has been made. I've also managed to pick up a new exo terra large waterfall cheap.
For lighting I was looking at the four globe exo terra compact top with two 10.0's and two 2.0 globes, will this suffice for UV in an enclosure this high?
Is a ceramic heat emitter a better way to go than mercury vapor heat bulb for frillies?
I've heard different opinions on sand as a substrate for young frill necks, what is everyone's ideas on this subject?

Anyway, all criticism, comments, extra info and opinions are welcome from anyone that may respond to this thread

Thanks
Matt * * **

Hey mate,

sounds like you've done alot of research regarding it already. The reason sand as a substrate is not reccomended is due to the fact that little ones will taste anything when young to see if it's edible. If they do eat it it can cause impaction

You'd be better off using a 100-150w MV globe they produce the best UV a globe can produce and great heat.
So you will not need the compact uv globes,these can also cause eye damage.I would recommend using a normal fluorescent tube fish tank style light for day light.
I have used sand for years with no problems on a few different sp of dragons.Yes they will lick it every now and then but not enough to cause impaction.If they start literally eating it then theres probably something wrong with the dragon.

I have housed my 2 on sand since hatchies and never had any problems at all so sand is fine.

Have to agree with Brettix.
All my frill Neck Lizards have 160w Mercury Vapours in their enclosures, best way to do it as they give out a **** load on heat and also the best amount of UVB any globe on the market gives out.

A basking light, not ceramic is the best way to go, so the MV globe is probably the best option.. giving you great heat as frillies like it hot, and giving good uv. Keep in mind best uv out of any globes, does change with brands, but no more 500-600mm is the biggest distance you'll get perfect uv. so as long as the little one basks alot it will be perfect....

Enclosure sounds great.... they love climbing and spending most of their time as high as possible.

The frilly makes an awesome pet, keep in mind they do take a fair amount of time to look after, they do like interaction and seem to do better with a fair amount of it... if you leave them alone to much they can sook i have noticed. or get used of it then make handling difficult :)

My friend who breeds them uses fake turf in the bottom and they love it. Also lots of stable logs and hides. They love lying on logs and climbing.

Thanks to all for the responses, much appreciated, think I'm definitely going to go with the MV bulbs by the sound of it, the decision on a sand substrate is still up in the air though, it's a hard one cause the effect that using sand has is so great, really sets the tone for the look of the enclosure. At the same time you don't really want to place anything in the enclosure that may be hazardous to your little friends health. Irrespective of price, what's everyone's opinion of the best brand MV bulb on the market? Thanks again, Matt

I've found that they need a LARGE enclosure - My big male has outgrown a 1200h x 900w x 900l and will be going into something bigger soon. Yes, they need the height to climb, but they also need the length/width to run. The next enclosure will most likely be 1200h (or higher) x 900w x 1800l.

We find that they need heaps of vertical perch options - as in a whole variety of different widths and heights that are located both close to and far away from the heat source.

Hey stevo2,
Yeah, I've sort of accepted that fact that any frilly I get is going to outgrow it's enclosure within the first two years. Wanted to get the biggest enclosure I could get my hands on but the 'minister for internal affairs' (missus) had something to say about that so I had to settle for 1200hx900wx600d for the time being.

I've also noticed looking at a lot of pictures of frill neck enclosures that people tend to have the heat globes hanging down into the enclosure without a safety cage around them, is this not a problem?, not a possible burn risk to the reptile?
Thanks
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back