together or not

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Reaction score
Hi can any one tell me if my diamonds should be together or not?
Im having trouble feeding the male since i put the female in, they are not old enough to breed at the moment,he use to be a good feeder but now i just carnt seem to get him to eat ,she is just a pig ,she is also older will this make a diffrence in the feeding

besides head size they are the same size ,she does not show any aggression towards him

im about to move and when i do they will be going into a enclosure which is from floor to roof and two meters wide its going to be as close to nature as i can get it with its own water fall real trees and shrubs

Nothing wrong with keeping them together but I would recommend feeding them separately out of the enclosure.

You should not have a problem with Diamonds together, but I think it's essential to feed them outside away from each other preferably at about the same time and then put them back into enclosure again.
I keep two Diamonds together and that's what I do and it works perfect.
Cheers

I have 3 together now and they are different size. But i would not try to feed them in enclosure, that would be messy.

cleaning will be the easy part 3 days after they eat i take them out for awhile untill they do a poo ,so far that tends to keep most of the poo out of there enclosure.but if need to ill just keep changing the plants.

:p I know lots that take snakes out for a poo,aswell while there outside they get a good sun fix,i have a couple that dont poop in enclosure but will hang on till they get outside i guess some prefer a crap on the lawn.It generally takes bout 5-10mins on the lawn then they let loose,as for extra work its not really as a weekly sunning is a normal part of keeping snakes well it is for most. :p

thats how i see it as well its just a couple of hours a week in the sun plus its handling time for me

Just kinda curious , in a heated enclosure would there be a problem with too much humidity if it included a waterfall and plants- damp soil etc ? or will plenty of ventilation help to combat that ?

I think while the all natural look does sound nice it also has the potential to cause a lot of problems.Parasites and Pathogens being two.It also creates a lot more work in maintaining the enclosure.Waterfalls etc would create way too much humidity,ventilation would lower it but then it would also lower temps.
I guess it all comes down to what you prefer.Look nice,high maintenance,potential problems Vs whats best for the animal.
If whats best for the animal is first and foremost then best to keep it simple.
There is always artificial plants if you must have some greenery in an enclosure.

cheers M......

If we are talking about Diamonds, they don't need high humidity, around the 50dgr. is sufficient and I also think with waterfall and life plants it would be a bit of a problem, besides the parasites as mentioned already.
Having to compensate with extra ventilation, you might run the risk and create draft IMO, which would not be too good for the animal.
Cheers

well now you have all confused me i dont know what to do now,the snakes health has to come first .if i left out the water fall would it still be a problem and would they get the parasites from the plants?

cheers

No they wont get parasites from plants,provided that is that the plants you put in were parasite free in the first place.
The problem is that you can't stop a snake crapping on plants or the dirt they are growing in and you can't clean them thouroughly enough.Another problem is that not many plants would be strong enough to stand up to a snake/snakes climbing all over without being destroyed.

An enclosure with a few interesting tree branches and some artificial plants hanging here and there I think is the best way to go,all of which can be taken out and scrubbed/disinfected from time to time.They can also look quite good as these days artificial can look very realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back