Too much food?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She was shedding fairly regularly the last few sheds were 26 August 2012, 3rd October 2012, 26 November 2012 (this shed was early because I moved her onto small rats rather than fuzzies) and her latest shed was the 9th of February so she will probably shed late this month or next but she isn't blue yet so I don't expect her to just yet un-less i move her up a size (give her a medium rat) as she usually sheds when I do that.

Last edited:
Use the "Go Advanced" tab to post a pic. Quick reply wont upload pics.

Use the "Go Advanced" tab to post a pic. Quick reply wont upload pics.
Did my links not work.. sorry i know this is annoying but this is only my 3rd thread so I'm still figuring out how everything works

Your link worked snake girl. You have a fine spotted python there, congrats :)

hvxtu9.jpg
n3ogms.jpg
qoyuyc.jpg

Because people always say its better to feed a larger size less often than multiple small sizes, as it gives the snake more time to rest before feeding again. Also because of what I said before about the head growing to take a larger prey item. I have bought some mediums now so I will give her one soon and see how she goes :)

Medium rats sounds too big for a spotted though. I agree with feeding larger food, less often but you can also go too big which is just as bad.

Medium rats sounds too big for a spotted though. I agree with feeding larger food, less often but you can also go too big which is just as bad.
That depends upon the weight of the medium rats. What weight medium rats are you talking about? What weight would be too big? Not trying to be smart, but weights are for more accurate than general discriptive terms.

That depends upon the weight of the medium rats. What weight medium rats are you talking about? What weight would be too big? Not trying to be smart, but weights are for more accurate than general discriptive terms.
I always talk in weights rather than size descriptions.

That snake should be fed a 100 gram rat every 12 -14 days. then nothing for 4 months over winter. Don't feed when shedding.

That snake should be fed a 100 gram rat every 12 -14 days. then nothing for 4 months over winter. Don't feed when shedding.
Why cant I feed over winter? I know they are supposed to hibernate but she didn't last year and doesn't seem to slow down even though the only heat source is a heat mat.

The rats are about 100gm each (frozen) can I give her one of these a fortnight?

The rats are about 100gm each (frozen) can I give her one of these a fortnight?

Depends how much your snake weighs. It can be really hard to estimate just from looking at a picture. If you are unsure maybe fall back on the rule of thumb 15-20% of body weight every 12-16 days. I am yet to see an obese snake from people who use that rule.

I'm pretty sure a larger prey item does not cause the head to grow. Lol :) The head should grow in proportion with the rest of the body.

Depends how much your snake weighs. It can be really hard to estimate just from looking at a picture. If you are unsure maybe fall back on the rule of thumb 15-20% of body weight every 12-16 days. I am yet to see an obese snake from people who use that rule.

I'm pretty sure a larger prey item does not cause the head to grow. Lol :) The head should grow in proportion with the rest of the body.
Ok thanks I will try and weigh her asap and let you know how heavy she is. I will try tonight but she is a little stressed cause I took her outside for the first time the other day (that's where I got those pics)

Why cant I feed over winter? I know they are supposed to hibernate but she didn't last year and doesn't seem to slow down even though the only heat source is a heat mat.

The idea of snake husbandry is to try and replicate a seasonal pattern like they have been exposed to and evolved from, for millions of years. They don't hibernate, and admittedly, probably don't even need to be cooled. But..... if you keep them warm all the time and pump them with food you are spending a lot of unnecessary money. Give your pet a rest from metabolism over winter like it would get anyway, and do some more research so you are keeping like a snake not a mammal.

The idea of snake husbandry is to try and replicate a seasonal pattern like they have been exposed to and evolved from, for millions of years. They don't hibernate, and admittedly, probably don't even need to be cooled. But..... if you keep them warm all the time and pump them with food you are spending a lot of unnecessary money. Give your pet a rest from metabolism over winter like it would get anyway, and do some more research so you are keeping like a snake not a mammal.
Ok I will try I just didn't want to cool her too much when she was a hatchie cause she was tiny and I didn't want to kill or starve her. About what time should I start cooling her? and do I need to leave any heat sources because currently the only one is a heat mat that she rarely sits on. What about if she doesn't slow down (eg still looking for food?) and can I still hold her because she gets cranky when she hasn't been fed. Sorry about all the questions...

I can turn her thermostat down to try and cool her but how much should I turn it down? It currently sits around 26 but can go 2 degrees either way.

I weighed her tonight and she weighs 600gms (is that normal?) Her last feed was the 7th (so about a week ago) she ate 2 small rats and I am hoping I don't have to feed her again until this weekend when I will give her a 1 medium rat and see how she goes hopefully I can just give her one of these a fortnight instead of 2 small. (if the rat weighs 100 and she weighs 600 That's about 16% so that should be good right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back