Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Deadly In the World:
10: Australian Copperhead
9: Death Adder
8: Chappel Inland Tigersnake
7: Western Australian Tigersnake
6: Beaked Seasnake
5: Revesby Inland Tigersnake
4: Eastern Tigersnake
3: Taipan
2: Eastern Common Brownsnake
1: Inland Taipan
LOL, :D we have the top 3 most dangerous snakes in the world, in our own backyard.
and people say Australias a safe country LOL:rolleyes:.(joking)

Is that the top 10 Aussie elapids or world wide ?
I don't know much about elapids but I thought the king Cobra , black mamba , or some rattlers
might have been up there.

Australias top venomous
snakes
In 1979, the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories in Australia conducted an extensive
comparative study of the toxicity of most of the Australian medically significant snake
venoms and some venoms from -Australian snakes. Here they used mice which
were subcutaneously injected with the crude venoms. In the early 1980's, Richard
Davis and Peter Mirtschin published the cobra scale, which compared venoms with that of the well
known Indian cobra venom. Cobra venom is assigned the value of 1 and the toxicity
of other venoms are compared to this venom.

Inland Taipan
Oxyuranus microlepidotus
50.0 times greater

Eastern brown snake
Pseudonaja textiles
12.5 times greater

Coastal Taipan
Oxyuranus scutellatus
7.8 times greater

Reevesby Island tiger snake
Notechis ater niger
5.1 times greater

Eastern tiger snake
Notechis scutatus
4.2 times greater

Western tiger snake
Notechis ater occidentalis
4.0 times greater

Chappell Island tiger snake
Notechis ater serventyi
1.8 times greater

Western brown snake
Pseudonaja nuchalis
1.5 times greater

Death adder
Acanthophis
1.5 times greater

Copperhead
Austrelaps superbus
1.0 times as

Dugite
Pseudonaja affinis
0.9 times as

Stephens banded tree snake
Hoplocephalus stephensii
0.4 times as

King brown
Pseudechis australis
0.3 times as

Collets snake
Pseudecis colletti
0.2times as

Red belly black snake
Pseudechis porphyhriacus
0.2 times as

Small eyed snake
Cryptophis nigrescens
0.2 times as

Marble-headed whip snake
Demansia olivacea
0.1 times as

for more information

http://www.venomsupplies.com/reltox.html

Mick

Deadliest? If mean those accountable for the most deaths, it would probably have to be Cobra and Russell's viper near the top of the list.

Thanks for the 'cobra scale' . I've seen that scale before but didn't know what it was
measured against .
So according to that scale , is the Copperhead the same toxicity as a Cobra at 1.0 ?

Depends if you only look at toxicity or also take into account average venom yield which will change things around. Also those toxicty tests are usually done on mice, humans may well be affected in different ways.

Has there ever been a list of the top ten most dangerous snakes?

This subject always seems to go haywire .
.....depends on how many deaths it causes or how much venom it expells etc etc .
What I want to understand is , According to the 'Cobra Scale' posted by Mickously ,
Is the Copperhead therefore the same toxicity as the Cobra at 1.0 on the scale ?

Ok with the youtube stuff khagan , but what's that got to do with this subject ?

What I want to understand is , According to the 'Cobra Scale' posted by Mickously
Is the Copperhead therefore the same toxicity as the Cobra at 1.0 on the scale ?

Ok with the youtube stuff khagan , but what's that got to do with this subject ?

Yes that is correct.

Well if you watch it maybe youd see? If someone was interested enough to make a topic about it then i thought they might have been interested in watching it, is there a problem with that?

Most Deadly In the World:
10: Australian Copperhead
9: Death Adder
8: Chappel Inland Tigersnake
7: Western Australian Tigersnake
6: Beaked Seasnake
5: Revesby Inland Tigersnake
4: Eastern Tigersnake
3: Taipan
2: Eastern Common Brownsnake
1: Inland Taipan
LOL, :D we have the top 3 most dangerous snakes in the world, in our own backyard.
and people say Australias a safe country LOL:rolleyes:.(joking)
No Black Mamba, Gibbon Viper, Russells Viper, any Cobras or Rattlesnakes???????:shock:

Sorry man , gotta be honest , I didn't view 'em .

different properties in their venom...
the LD 50 has only been tested on mice...
if it was tested on humans, id say somethng like the russels viper or king brown would be far further up there in my opinion

different properties in their venom...
the LD 50 has only been tested on mice...
if it was tested on humans, id say somethng like the russels viper or king brown would be far further up there in my opinion

well lets see if we can get some people to try this out...............pm me your name if your interested....lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back