Training a Childrens Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crl94

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've looked and looked, and spent days googling trying to find if it's possible to train a snake. I don't want it to roll over or play dead or anything. I just want it to recognise a specific sound (or the variable of a visual) to know that it's time for feeding, or to be taken out of it's enclosure.

If no one can give me any solid proof that it is possible I will continue experimenting and documenting the results and post the outcome on this thread.

I'm going to be working with a four month old Childrens Python, if that's any help :/

The theory I'm working off is Pavlov's Dog.

:shock: mate it's impossible...

Maybe you should invest is some reptile books and learn more about them...

I'd be interested to hear your findings but I doubt you will get any conclusive results. Dogs are much more advanced than snakes with that sort of thing

I've got 7 months to collect the data before I need to turn n my results. Even if it doesn't respond to sound or visuals it's ok because it's still a result. Hope it works :)

No amount of "training" is going to make them realise why the enclosure has been opened. they know it is time for a feed when they pick up the scent of a rodent.

Im guessing you dont want to be bitten when removing the snake for cleaning? If this is the case, use a hook until the snake settles down. If they are a little high strung or stressed they will bite regardless of it being feed time or cleaning time, usually settles down in time.

I'm not worried about being bitten, eventhough I do have a loooooong hook and feeding tongs. I'm just curious as to how much they can be influenced to recognise a specific sound or visual is all.

It's not going to be recognizing much sound.....Unless it's a special Childrens python with ears.

No amount of "training" is going to make them realise why the enclosure has been opened. they know it is time for a feed when they pick up the scent of a rodent.

Im guessing you dont want to be bitten when removing the snake for cleaning? If this is the case, use a hook until the snake settles down. If they are a little high strung or stressed they will bite regardless of it being feed time or cleaning time, usually settles down in time.

From the sounds of things he's researching rather than avoiding being bitten. Personally rather than sound (in which case you'd need vibration rather than actual sound, possibly a bass frequency?) or visual, I'd probably focus more on scent as that's the primary sense. As Ozzie Python said; they know it's time for a feed when they pick up the scent of a rodent, so perhaps start from there; 'training' in the sense of pavlov's dog would be pointless on a primarily instinctive and non-gregarious animal, but maybe you could think outside the box a little and play on instinctive reactions to certain triggers. There's been plenty of people on here who mention that they feed outside of the enclosure to prevent a food response when reaching in to remove the python, this to me suggests a possibility toward training in a sense (not training as you would a dog however, I doubt a rolled-up newspaper would do the trick ;) )
This will definitely be interesting!

maybe for research you are going to need a few more pythons with various levels of attitude to draw a positive conclusion. childrens tend to calm down too quickly, some jungle hatchies would work well and keep things interesting;)

haha, yeah cos I can afford more than one -_-

I was going to use a specific container that would be placed into the enclosure for feeding (also to avoid it swallowing any substrate)

Yeah, I guess the sound wouldn't exactly work cos of the whole lack of hearing, does anyone know if they are colour blind? maybe I could use that aswell.

From the sounds of things he's researching rather than avoiding being bitten. Personally rather than sound (in which case you'd need vibration rather than actual sound, possibly a bass frequency?) or visual, I'd probably focus more on scent as that's the primary sense. As Ozzie Python said; they know it's time for a feed when they pick up the scent of a rodent, so perhaps start from there; 'training' in the sense of pavlov's dog would be pointless on a primarily instinctive and non-gregarious animal, but maybe you could think outside the box a little and play on instinctive reactions to certain triggers. There's been plenty of people on here who mention that they feed outside of the enclosure to prevent a food response when reaching in to remove the python, this to me suggests a possibility toward training in a sense (not training as you would a dog however, I doubt a rolled-up newspaper would do the trick ;) )
This will definitely be interesting!
I agree scent would be a better trigger to use. I use the same soap every time I plan to handle my snakes. No idea if this works in letting them know what's coming but I haven't been bitten yet...

I personally think that you can 'condition' them to a certain extent.
If I pull their drawers out a little way they know they will get fed, if I take the drawers all the way out to clean, then they are not in a feeding mode as they know they won't be.
I also know someone who does reptile displays, if he opens the door and touches them with the hook, they know there is no food involved and they are getting out to go somewhere. He even reckons you could see the disappointment on their faces...these were BHP's. :) :)

There also was a very interesting guy talking at the AHS a few years ago that worked at a crocodile park and they had those gariols (sp) anyway they are the most aggressive croc, they could condition them to go to different parts of their pond to get fed even though they were all in the same pond, was very interesting and also told how a zoo used to do the same thing when it came to feeding black mambas. They were all 'conditioned' to go to different parts of the enclosure and came into some sort of pvc drainage pipe to get fed.
As they cannot hear (obvioulsy) they would stomp on the ground or in the case of the mambas tap...then spray the animal with some water to let them know what they wanted them to do.
I also would be interested in your findings.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you should delay this training thing, maybe try to train your 2nd or 3rd snake, right now you have no idea what to do (you had to ask about its size, the waterfall and duct taping the enclosure....), you're trying to fly before you can walk, what if you mess around with the childrens python too much and it stresses out and stop eating ?

is it that necessary to train it to recognize food from handling ? you're making things overly complex when simple would work just as well - stick a rat in its face for feeding and pick it up for handling.

just saying you should get some experience at keeping them first before trying to mess around, as there are many my python isn't eating threads in the herp help section.

The only trick mine will do is if he's interested in a handle i put my hand just on the ledge after the sliding door's of his enclosure then he will slither on out if he wants to, and when I'm handling him and was putting him back, put my hand just after where the sliding door is to make a "Bridge" and again he'll be happy to slither on back.

Best bit is I've never had any problems putting him back into his enclosure. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back