Tree frog injured nose

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozziepythons

Reaction score
I have a couple of green tree frogs given to me with injured snouts, one of them seriously. I have had vet treatment for it and have appropriate housing, but want to know if anyone else has had this with their green tree frogs and they have healed. Since they have soft moist skin, healing is a long way off and also want to know how long this has taken other people's frogs?

This is one of the problems I had to overcome, as in captivity all they seem to do is push face first into cage corners or jump face first into glass, making the problem worse daily. I invented an unconventional set up to help the frog with the worst facial injury, a makeshift hospital 'tent' made of soft material.

yes, it depends on the enclosure, in large enclosures they won't do that so much or at all. some species do it far worse than others but GTFs generally don't if kept in reasonably large tanks. It won't get better if they keep doing it though.

also some like to - if you have a mesh lid- jump at the lid of the enclosure which will rub the skin off of their nose. My dad has a GTF that does this, so he's all green with a little pink patch on his nose, it won't cause any harm at all, just looks funny. Harvey's hasn't healed because he's a stupid frog and continues to jump at the mesh lid but Homer on the other hand has learnt from Harveys idioicy. they'll be right. some are just a bit more dopey than others.

Some frogs are the hardiest and most vunerable animals at the same time, are these wild frogs or captives? Either way sounds like they need more space or suitable hiding areas.

also some like to - if you have a mesh lid- jump at the lid of the enclosure which will rub the skin off of their nose. My dad has a GTF that does this, so he's all green with a little pink patch on his nose, it won't cause any harm at all, just looks funny. Harvey's hasn't healed because he's a stupid frog and continues to jump at the mesh lid but Homer on the other hand has learnt from Harveys idioicy. they'll be right. some are just a bit more dopey than others.

No offence but all frogs are pretty stupid, its the resposibility of the owner to ensure they are kept properly rather than blaming the frog for harming itself due to bad husbandry. Sounds like the mesh lid is a problem from what you are saying, what sort of mesh is it?

The specimens in question were kept temporarily in containers while on their way to me, which is how the damage occured. They had tried to escape and rubbed their noses raw trying.
I have found that even in very generous sized enclosures they jump straight to the walls and try every corner to escape. Once allowed out of the cage they settle down and just explore the room, but keeping them this way in my current accommodation is unsuitable. In my last place a large, male green tree frog lived in my bathroom where he was quite happy, again if I could at my current place with these frogs I would. The 'hospital tent' is the least abrasive option I had that is working, and the recommended medication is keeping infection at bay. There will always be scarring once they heal though.

@cris i dunno coz my parents have been divorced for 15 years and i have mostly lived with my mum. Harvey apparently started doing it a few weeks after they got them so. But ive only seen him do it once, dad puts an ointment on his nose so its not bad husbandry coz the tank is huge for them like 5ft x 3ft x 3ft with places to hide and sit comfortably... I made him research for months first and read books on keeping them so yeah its just harvey is the stupid one and homer is all like "you drongo" the enclosure is cleaned out every week so they have fresh water in the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back