Trouble feeding Jackys

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon-Drew

Reaction score
I have 2 Jackys, I think that they are both males I think

For the purpose of this thread I will call then Fat and Skinny

Skinny use to be the more dominant but only just, really it was pretty even, but at the start of winter that all changed. Now Fat is the dominant and Skinny spends most of his day and night sitting against the back wall of their cage. At feed time Fat just comes out and eats every thing in sight and Skinny only comes out when Fat is nearly finished getting only 2 - 3 crix. As you have probably worked out Fat is now FAT and Skinny is now getting Skinny.

I have separated them for feeding but Fat, being feed in another container, did not eat and Skinny stayed siting against the back of the cage, only coming out when I chased him out even then he did not eat much. :roll:

Any ideas on how to get Skinny eating again :?:

Give us some more details about the setup etc, such as temps, size, what sort of decs, hides etc. If all else fails ask Soulweaver.

what about separating just for feeding time??

John

is it possible to get a pic of the 'skinny one'? just to see what condition its in?

where does this jacky sit in relation to the heat source?

you said you feed crickets, roughly how many do you feed at one time?

at work but i got more questions, will write later :)

OK so here is a pic of the set up.
1. This is the corner that Skinny is always hiding in.
2. This is another hide log that they can get behind or climb on but they never seem to.
3. Heat source.

Temps in the cage are getting up to 30 after about 3.00pm and staying that high for about another 6 hours and going down to about 13 at night. Light is on for about 12 hours a day.

I did not feed them tonight an I have found that there are still some Crix runing around in side the cage. Fat is ovoursly not hungry and Skinny did not come out from his corner all day.

I do not really want to seperate them as I do not have the room for a second tank in side the house and I do not want to put them out side in the shed.

Sorry Soulweaver but he is very hard to get a picture of as he is very skitich. I will try tomorrow

i can tell you that the reason they don't use the log in the cool end is because they would feel to exposed being there, if you get some fake plants in the end of the cage then they will use that log.

actually fake plants in the cage might fix your problem as they can hide better from each other.

it is the latter part of breeding season, and this can sometimes cause males to go off their food during this period, but without seeing the condition of the male its hard to say if it is a breeding thing or not.

the seperating for feeding won't work IMO as they are outside of their comfort zone and males are very territorial, they will just try to scale the wall of the feeding tub. But i would get a smaller feeding tub, coat the rim with flu-on (herpshop sells this) and put woodies in there, i have fed hoppers and crix to mine, and they don't always eat them all, but i have found with woodies they will eat every last one of them. It maybe a food preference rather then a dominat male taking control. My two males get along fine and will snatch food from one another, and i know that only one of the males is the fater too the two females, so the dominance isn't a problem.

there was also a guy a few years back that housed 12 males and two females together. A select few of the males did fight for mating rights, but not in terms of food.

i am racking my brain trying to help atm lol, i have spent a lot of hours just watching my jackys, so i know if something is wrong straight away.

try the woodies, pm me back if that doesn't work, also try some fake plants. If you can get a photo of the male in question that would be good also.

SW

The log at the cool end is hollow at the back and they can get right behind it if they choose, but rearly do. Only if running away from me when I am trying to catch them to give the cage a good clean. I will look in to fake plants next week. I think I know a shop that sell them but I don't know if they will be open next week.

I think that Skinny is coming out of his cornner during the day when I am at work to sun him self but he is back in his cornner when I get home.

I have attached some pics of both Jackys for you to have a look at. Skinny is the Lighter collor of the 2. He is also the on in the front and if you still cant work it out he is the skinny one HA HA

Thanks for your help Soulweaver.

looking at those pics he is not that bad. just try doing some of the things i said above, you have plenty of time on your hands atm in terms of condition.

good luck

if you get in real doubt go to the vet

Seperated them again for lunch today. Fat out side in container with a couple of crix. Skinny inside with 6 meal worms. Skinny came over in a flash and ate them all. He looked better (fater)straight away. Left them seperated for about a hour and now they are both out side engoying some UV rays.

I will sitll look in to Fake plante next week and may have to feed them this way every weekend.

Thanks again for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back