Troublesome feeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moclobe

Reaction score
I have a male spotted python hatchling that is a fussy eater. How often should I present him with a thawed pinky mouse after each refusal?
Is there any good articals out there on ways of getting fussy eater to eat?

Regards David

get a pair of tweesers or forseps and tease it,ie bash it around the head untill it gets peed off enugh to grab it and devour it.

Scent it with skink smell, in the wild hatchlings eat small lizards.

hey Moclobe is it eating now or do u need help still

I agree with TB. I have found by accident, that by dropping it near their head when teasing, with the quick movement of it being dropped close to their head, they will automatically strike at the food and away they go.

TrueBlue said:
get a pair of tweesers or forseps and tease it,ie bash it around the head untill it gets peed off enugh to grab it and devour it.

Agreed. But as well as this, nudge the snake along the sides of its body using the pinky. Nudge from one side to the other, up and down the body. This can get them very excited. After doing this a few times quickly push the prey against the snakes snout/chin. If the snake doesnt back off, it wants that meal!!! :)

All great tips, all I can add is that tickling its tail with the mouse can help too sometimes. And jordo suggested scenting with skink but you can also use whitebait if you don't want to take a skink's tail off. Check the southern cross reptiles competition threads, there was a question about force-feeding, only do this if you start to get really worried. Good luck!

You have a tail? Are you the one in your avatar with the snake around your neck, or are you the one wrapped around the guy's neck?

yeah and its not a mouse that his missus uses either its a pussy.

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure what to do with the cat though?

How often should you offer food to a fussy eater?

It's just a fussy feeder, that's a little drastic don't you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back