True or false, fact or fiction???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFox

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have read over and over again about pythons 'going feral' from lack of handling. I am wanting to know others experiences because from my own I'm starting to think this is the same as the 'only feed in a tub myth'.

I am newish to the hobby and so have a limited experience. I have one woma that is 3, almost 4 years old. I bought him from a commercial breeder as an adult, 2 and a bit years old. He had only a bit of handling prior to him coming to live with me. I only really handle him maybe once or twice a month, if that, with the exception of general husbandry. He has always being awesome to handle when I do and has had children and strangers hold him with no issues.

So I was thinking he might just be one of those really placid ones that never go feral. But I have another juvenile woma who I haven't handled for around 3 months. I pulled him out today and he was perfect. So either mine are both really placid, content snakes or the 'going feral' solely from lack of handling is a myth.

So really just after experiences and opinions. :D

I generally only handle my snakes when necessary which isn't very often. The calm ones are always calm and handle well despite the lack of handling. I'm sure some snakes will settle with regular handling but the notion that all snakes will go feral with lack of handling is rubbish.

I generally only handle my snakes when necessary which isn't very often. The calm ones are always calm and handle well despite the lack of handling. I'm sure some snakes will settle with regular handling but the notion that all snakes will go feral with lack of handling is rubbish.

I agree. From the number of wild pythons I see on the roads around here, some are snappy & defensive, others couldn't care less about being picked up & placed in a safe place, despite never having been handled before.

Jamie

I have flighty and snappy snakes apart from my 8year old bhp I used to hold him all the time or every now and then but he's about 3meters now and I don't handle him all that often, he's never bitten me. the other lot however some I used to handle but they changed with age and size and breeding I can not handle them as a joy cuddle, they are large and snappy, and like to whip you with there tails. I only handle when I need to during breeding season and if one ends up escaping. some I have never had the pleasure to handle comfortable they bite me every time, I have found that adult snakes coming from pet shops are more flighty and aggressive due to being subjected to a high traffic situation up until they are sold they are much harder to tame, he was not handled much he was a breeder. I believe little to no handling the snake can become aggressive, but they still look for food and display themselves when hungry. how ever if you bought a wild animal that is from a licenced snake catcher/breeder then you are basically buying a feral snake they are nasty bloody things, no matter how long they have been in captivity for they are still wild natured animals.

I have had the pleasure of coming across some very placid wild pythons, who didn't mind me moving them off the road and a few I caught as a kid.

I was more referring to when people sell snakes and say the snake hasn't being handled due to not having the time. The snake has become cage defensive, hard to handle but should calm down again with regular handling.

I always thought that was people who were trying to get rid of snakes that were snappy. But it seems to have become an accepted fact as I have read it and being told it so many times.

the difference between holding a wild animal that lives in a vast huge area's temperament is completely different to a wild animal being caged for the rest of its life.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the problem is that people buy them as babies and they get to the size that there not comfortable handling as much or ever, that they loose interest in them and then want to sell, I have come across add like that, that you described and yes most times the snake is snappy or just too big for them to keep. if you ever see a young snake that's being sold by a non breeder its more then likely the person has lost interest in the snake and or its snappy and they cant be bothered to work with it.

how ever if you bought a wild animal that is from a licenced snake catcher/breeder then you are basically buying a feral snake they are nasty bloody things, no matter how long they have been in captivity for they are still wild natured animals.

That is far from the truth, how many wild caught snakes do you own? I have several legally wild caught animals here that are as calm as any captive bred animal and wouldn't bite even if harassed.

Some are placid & some are not. Simple as that.
"Cage defensive" as it is referred to.......is often used to describe BHP's I do have experience of. A couple of older animals I purchased last year can be quite intimidating to get them out but once out of the enclosure handle fine.

A 3rd one is a savage little but does calm when handled for extended periods.

I believe it all to be from the animals confidence. The more nervous they are the more flighty they will be. Handled regularly and correctly from being young they seem fine. Some that have been handled harshly by bad owners can be a handful but eventually calm....others.......well, put your hand in at your own risk.

I have some fairly large BHP's that nowadays only get handled every couple of weeks but are a calm as anything, certainly not turning feral

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back