Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhan50

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello just wondering, whats the difference between a macquarie saw shelled turtle and a Murray short neck turtle?

idk much a bout turtles but im guessin the saw shell has a saw like shell and the murray short neck does not just a guess tho
cheers

saw shells have diff shells to murrys i dont know heaps and heaps about turtles thay look abit dif in colour aswell ill post 2 pics for u to have a look at i have a short neck murry and a saw shell

SAW SHELL NAMED SPIKE
Picture052-2.jpg

MURRY SHORT NECK NAMED GODZILLA
Picture054.jpg

hope u like the pics

Saw shell is not a macquarie, Murray river turtle is Emydura macquarii also know as a macquarie turtle.
The saw shell is not only an entierly different species but an entirely different genus as well.
Wollumbinia latisternum formerly Elseya latisternum.

HAHA I'm confused now because at the pet store the woman said the turtle I bought was a Murray short neck but the shell looks exactly like the saw shell, and they sold Murray short necks $30 cheaper than saw shells.
Thanks for the pics

Murrays seem to have a smaller, smoother head, smoother shell (though hatchlings will still have a saw-ish shell, though not as much as a saw shell hatchling), and murrays usually have a yellow/cream line on their head extending from their mouth...

Some head shots of wild murrays and saw shells; one of the saw shells was only a juvy (2nd photo)

Saw shells
1-24.jpg

4-19.jpg

Murrays
2-24.jpg

3-19.jpg

Edit: just googled a pic of a typical looking murray hatchy for you :) Image by Turtle Town, Sydney Australia
PA110049s.jpg

Last edited:
Saw Shelled turtles have like a jagged shell, roughish head.
Where the murray river turtle has has much smoother head, creamish stripe alongside the head, even edges around the shell. The murray river turtle gets much bigger then the saw shelled turtles.

Cheers,
Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back