Turtle help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicki71

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My daughter and her friends found a baby freshwater turtle on the beach we are thinking the recent heavy rain has washed it out to sea. At first they thought it was dead but then noticed some movement so took it to a friends home with the plan to take it to the vet hospital today. Now the other girls have decided they can look after it and then release it. They have tried feeding it blood worms and it wont eat, its moving more today and looking healthier. My daughter and I are still of the opinion that it needs to go to the vet hospital, if the other girls still refuse what is the best thing to try and feed it just so we can give it some chance of life

it's illegal to keep reptiles from the wild. I would either take it to the vet or contact WISE or another wildlife group. Don't want the poor thing suffering

Wild turtles can take a bit to get eating in captivity and they are doubly hard to get eating if they are sick/injured. Best options are either take it to a vet or release it somewhere appropriate.

I totally agree. We have told them its illegal to keep it. We have said they are only extending its suffering by not getting help. We have also brought up it is likely to excrete salmonella due to it being stressed. The sad thing is they live within walking distance to a good vet hospital

it could be saved if you go to the vet or it could die if you don't I'm sure you can make the more appropriate choice

This is what we have told them, my daughter is heart broken that her friends are not giving it the best possible chance by getting it proper help.

It is sad to think there are people like this out there who in most cases cause more harm than good to the animal. I hope they can take it to the vet asap

her friends are 15. Apparently the father of one of the girls used to be a park ranger so knows what to do to help it :rolleyes:, but that same dad didnt even know that there was a need for some dry land for it. He had planned on putting it in a straight sided glass tank and said it would just float up when it needed to breath. My daughter was going to try and change her friends mind today at school

My thoughts are heading that way

Turtle was taken to the vet hospital and they said they have had a few in that were washed out to sea from the storms we have had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back