Turtles and Fish?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riegerrobin

Reaction score
Hey

can i put turtles in a tank with tropical fish or 'pretty fish' (gf wording not mine).

Sorry if it seems like a newbie question :p

Cheers
Robin

Faster fish tend to be ok with short necks but long necks will smash just about all your fish.

i am actually planning on getting some short necks. the tank is pretty big. like 2.4m long by 1m by 70cm or so...

recon some 'bigger' fish would be ok with the short necks.....

like is there any particular fish that might be ok with them

Don't mix tropical fish with cold water species of turtles.

Put cold water fish species with cold water turtle species, or put tropical fish species with tropical turtle species.

A painted turtle would go good in a tropical fish tank with tropical fish.
The tropical fish might get a death sentence though.

Jake

I have fish in my tank with 2 short neck turtles. The other day the turtle cornered one, and got it in it's mouth, but the fish still got away. I don't think size of fish really matters, as the turtles can tear them with their claws. It really depends on the temprement,and speed of those fish. Short necks arent renowned for chasing fish, especially if they are well fed. But i wouldnt even think of putting long necks in.

we have had 4 feeder fish living with our turtle really well for the last year. We have been feeding him feeder fish occasionally for the last 14 years but he for some reason decided not to eat these 4 guys and they have now about 6cm long and keep his shell clean by eating all the algae off it.

thanks all for your replies.

I sorta figured there might be a problem with the water temps but just wanted to check in general if it was possible.

I might just give it a go with a short neck turtle and appropriate fish for the water temp....

It is just a fairly large tank in my room and to just have 1 or even 2 turtles swiming in there (while great for them) just seems so empty.....

Most fish will be fine, i would avoid fish with venomous spines. Archer fish are one species that i think are great, but there would be hundreds of species without exageration. Finding fish that can live in the same temperature shouldnt limit you too much.

Just catch a heap of fish from your local creek, rainbow fish for example
might be "pretty" enough for the GF lol, but theres plenty of species to collect.

Also - if any are eaten, simply collect a few more...

I also feel a display tank with native turtles accompanied by native fish
just looks better and is a far more interesting display piece.

might be "pretty" enough for the GF lol, but theres plenty of species to collect.

couldn't agree more.

i keep a short neck with a koi fish and it is fine, however i had a goldfish with the turtle once and it ate it

Yes thats a great idea, there are lots of nice creeks around the Brookfield area too. There are probably crimson rainbows, pacific blue-eyes and various gudgeons. Although i havnt tried catching fish in that area for a while, so it may be over run with feral species now. Go to Mappins nursery(on gap creek rd) if you want to buy native fish, they also sell nice coloured platies and swordtails at feeder fish prices.

Just don't get caught. It's perfectly legal to catch and eat all these fish but catch and keep in a tank is not.

Just don't get caught. It's perfectly legal to catch and eat all these fish but catch and keep in a tank is not.

who told you that? most aquarium species have a bag limit of 20 here in qld, unlisted species have no limit. It is however highly illegal to keep or transport mosquito fish and tilapia even if they are dead and within their existing range.

Im also in QLD, like cris - maybe the rules and regulations differ in the NT for private individuals?
(I know at least of professional collectors operating legally in the NT, not sure on private collecting)

Here in QLD at least, collecting freshwater native fish is controlled with similar regulations put on
anglers - with bag limits - non-collecting/fishing zones (National Parks etc..) as well as some species
that are prohibited from collection (i believe the lungfish is one example, as well as some endangered
gudgeon species).

On top of this, QLD EPA actually promotes the collection of local native fish for use as mosquito control
in private dams and water features/ponds... as it doesn't have the ramifications associated with a dam
or pond flooding and in turn releasing exotic species into waterways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back