Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkgone

Reaction score
i want to get a turtle but i want one that doesnt grow that big.Can anyone give me any advice on what turtle to get.thanks in advance.

Get a saw shelled turtle, they will grow to a reasonable size and they are tough buggers.

Your info says your from Sydney so your obviously bound by the NSW keeping system. According to the Class 1 licensing system there are 11 turtles/tortoises you could keep.
Here are all 11 species along with several adult lengths.

Eastern Snake-necked Turtle (Chelodina longicollis) 20-25 cm
New Guinea Snake-necked Turtle (Chelodina novaeguinae)
Oblong Snake-necked Turtle (Chelodina oblonga)
Northern Snake-necked Turtle (Chelodina rugosa) 30-40 cm
Northern Snapping Turtle (Elseya dentata) 25-35 cm
Saw-shelled Turtle (Elseya latisternum)
Mary River Turtle (Elusor macrurus)
Cooper Creek Short-necked Turtle (Emydura sp.)
Krefft`s Short-necked Turtle (Emydura kreffti) 20-25 cm
Murray Short-necked Turtle (Emydura macquarii) 20-30 cm
Brisbane River Short-necked Turtle (Emydura macquarii signata)

("A Photographic Guide to SNAKES & OTHER REPTILES OF AUSTRALIA", Gerry Swan. 1995, New Holland Publishers, Australia)

I hope someone can help out with the other 6 turtle`s lengths. Ive never kept turtles before (planning on in the next year sometime) but I`m pretty sure they don`t reach adult size until maybe 8 or 9 years. Hopefully someone else whos had experience keeping turtles can verify/disprove my statement.

Cheers, Jay

Depends on how they are fed, specimans in the wild will take 5 years to reach a carapace length of 10 cm, howevermost cb turtles tend to reach this size within 1-2 years. Some research has shown a corraspondance between fast growth and shell and skeletal deformaties/weakness. I have two hatchies now at 10 months which are about 8cm carapace length. I feed only every 3 days. Temps in enviroment also have a great inpact on growth rates. wArmer water faster growth.

why not get a penny turtle? they are supposed to be small

SHOOT HIM....SHOOOt HiiiMMM!!!!! lol :twisted:

Eastern Snake-necked Turtle (Chelodina longicollis) 20-25 cm
Most logical as it is endemic to the region.
New Guinea Snake-necked Turtle (Chelodina novaeguinae)
Yeah Good luck /I think this (Australian species) has been reclassfied and C.novaeguinea is now only found in PNG and Irain Jaya. about 270mm
Oblong Snake-necked Turtle (Chelodina oblonga)
Western austarlian species now macrochelodina oblonga so that should give a hint regarding size. This turtle looks like it is to big for its shell. 230mm
Northern Snake-necked Turtle (Chelodina rugosa) 30-40 cm
Again reclassified as Macrochelodina, check out these babies at Taronga in the C.jonstonii pond. You soon see that size can make a difference
Northern Snapping Turtle (Elseya dentata) 25-35 cm
Not a lot available but another boofy turtle when fully grown
Saw-shelled Turtle (Elseya latisternum)
Reasonably available.
Mary River Turtle (Elusor macrurus)
Not easy to find
Cooper Creek Short-necked Turtle (Emydura sp.)
Now E.emmitti and can be pretty big
Krefft`s Short-necked Turtle (Emydura kreffti) 20-25 cm
Not a bad choice
Murray Short-necked Turtle (Emydura macquarii) 20-30 cm
Plenty of subspecies in this group including some reasonably small ssp. from the places like the Maclaey river (E.m.dharra).
Brisbane River Short-necked Turtle (Emydura macquarii signata)
A subspecies of E.macquarii and I thinkl this one is defunt as well but might have to check.

Sorry about the mispelt scientific names. I yanked them straight off the November 2002 list from the NPWS site.

Was looking through the lists but I can't find which ones the penny turtle. I love penny turtles they are so little and cute.....

Parko, I think Penny and turtle in that order in a sentence should have a law against it!!!

You'll find you Mary River turtles and you have found your "penny turtles". Only prob is that they are classed as a threatened species here in QLD as during the 60s and 70s, these were the turtles which were taken from the wild and sold as penny turtles, exploited by pet shops... no such thing as a penny turtle!!!

BJ, as you have already been told, most Australian freshwater turtles will eventually grow to the size of small dinner plates (AT LEAST)!!!! Unless you know you are albe to provide for them, dont bother... Mine are in a 4x2x2 tank, and will soon outgrow this and go into an 6 or 8x2x2 tank then a pond!!! I knew that from day one and they cant live in doors forever!!! :) Also, mine are about 2 years old and 15 cm, and 12 cm and 10 cm across their carapace!!!

You cant attempt to keep them small either, that is cruel... i dont think you would like your parents to keep you in a shoe box and feed you once a fortnight!!!

No offence,

AG

so the turtles that were named "penny turtle" were actually mary river turtles?

So would Saw Shelled and Kreffts River turtles be fine living outdoors in Newcastle? Im thinking about getting a pair or trio of one of the two species in a few months and just making sure they can actually live there, or if its too hot/cold, etc. Ive got a 5ft fish tank I was thinking about converting into a turtle tank by putting in a few extra bits of glass. I thought that might last them yr or two. Ive got to build an outdoor enclosure for my eastern water dragons, so when the turtles outgrow the tank they can move out there with them.

Jay

BK,
I have attached a pic which I borrowed from the Aust. turtles and frogs group which was taken by Craig Latta (hope its cool that I show it to you!!!). It is an adult Mary River turtle... you beloved penny turtle!!! Unless craig is a dwarf, I dont think it is the size of a penny!!!! :) Remember dinner plate size bk!!! :)

Jay,
Yep they should be fine... You should however keep them in an aquarium indoors until they are about 3 years of age (or a bit older). Go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AustralianFreshwaterTurtlesandFrogs/ if you are interested. There is a really snazzy care sheet which covers everything in the files section.

Attachments

• adult_male_mary_river_turtle.jpg
    adult_male_mary_river_turtle.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 87
Turtles could technically be kept indoors permanently, however .......
1. you'll need a really BIG tank......weight considerations....VERY heavy, concrete floor?
2. uv lighting......ongoing cost, tubes last 6 months after that not much good
[note] u.v. lighting is no substitute for sunlight, outdoors a few times a week]
3. big tank, big turts, big poo......big filter system needed_ hard to clean very big deep tank

4. cost of power running basking lights daily.....sunlight is free
5. feeding in tank_ not good ,see cleaning , hard to catch adult turts in big deep tank! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back