Type of Dog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriouS

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Currently looking to purchase a guard dog/family pet. Been reading up a bit and a German Shepherd looks like the perfect type of dog to get. Just wanted to know if any of you guys have one and what your experience has been? I will be a first time dog owner, I have read in some places that they are great for first time owners - but in others it states the complete opposite!

Any info would be much appreciated!

P.S I KNOW this is not a dog website - hence I am posting in the "Other Animals" section :).

I have met a few sheperds around the place, all have been lovely dogs. But i gotta tell ya there is nothing quite like a bull terrier as far as guard dogs go, no one will ever come in your yard while you got one of these guys around. Plus they are the most affectionate and loyal family pets you could find, i would class them as the worlds biggest lap dog.

I personally love german shepherds, and people know they are often used as guard dogs, used by police etc. so I seriously doubt anyone would step into your yard with a shepherd. I know I certainly wouldnt.

in my experience get a dog with a lot of smarts pure bred american or english staffie

in my experience get a dog with a lot of smarts pure bred american or english staffie

Now i love all the pit type dogs (bullies, staffies etc) you can call them loving, heroic, stubbornly protective but the one thing they can't be called is... smart. lol

I would say a Shar-pei (rolly dog). But I am also bias. My girl would lick to death anyone who would walk into the yard. But my boy protects his yard very well. He does patrols around the perimeter every few hours, quite funny really. They are not a barking dog, so wont bark unless there is something really wrong. They also kind of look scary, so most people are hesitant in going into the back yard anyway. They are very protective of their family, but very affectionate too. But the only thing is they're probably not a first time dog.

If you have the room, and don't mind your yard being turned upside down and inside out, BullMastiffs are great, they defend their yard, love people and kids, but sometimes don't get on well with other dogs, and are prone to hip and joint problems as are alot of other big breed dogs. I suggest you go to a few dog show's, see if anything grabs your eye.. dogs are alot of work and responsibilty, and larger dogs more so.. I just got an Australian Bulldog, he is turning out to be one of the best dogs I have had, though not a guard dog at all! Large dogs require good fences, a 30kg dog is capable of popping a panel out of a colorbond fence, and a large agile dog is capable of jumping a 5 foot fence.

I bought my first german shepard about 3 year ago now fresh out of the army. I have been talked into it by a few soldiers who had bred or worked with shephards in the past. With my army cash I went off and found some backyard breeder selling shephard pups.
All the pups live outside and I went for the darkest because that is what I was looking for. Took old solja home and it was a weekend of moving stuff so we were in and out and all around the place all day. For the first half of the day I was paranoid 6 week old Solja would take off or be hit by a car but instead he stuck to my heels all day. Come night I was nackered and put him in the laundry where he balled and cried and made a huge deal out of being isolated for the first time. I felt guilty and tiered so I took the dare and let him sleep in the room with me, after all we were out of the house the following day :p When I woke up Solja hadn't gone to the toilet all night and first thing he did when we let him out was a big toilet run.
I did put a bit of work into him in the first 6 months but it was all easy, he picked stuff up perfectly. Only once went toilet inside while he was a little crook. He didn't dig holes but after 8 months became toy obsessed.
My housemate had a mate who came around four or five nights a week and would play with Solja all the time. One day he came around without anyone home and went to jump the fence. He was stuck at the top of the fence for nearly ten minutes trying to calm solja down before abandoning the idea.
One day at a family party at my mums toy obsessed Solja dropped his fetch toy within reach of my baby cousin (can't remember how young he was now but he couldn't walk or crawl yet) My cousin took the toy and he and solja were looking each other dead in the eye, Solja paitently waited for my cousin to throw the toy, not even when my intimidated cousin burst into tears and screamed at the top of his lungs was Solja irritated, he just stayed their, waiting, tail waging.
In my eyes this makes the perfect dog and while I did put a little bit of time into him it really wasn't hard work. He is fine when me or my gf or housemate are home with anyone who comes around or up to the gate.
He knows the neighbours stick their head over the fence for a chat and doesn't have a fit but one day the neighbours dad stuck he head over and nearly lost his nose.
Not once have I ever witnessed Solja aggressive toward another human, he can get irridtated from time to time with other dogs but otherwise is ok.
They are georgous looking dogs, strong, reliable, fast, trustworthy and nearly understand what you want without you saying so.
I did breed solja once and I got pick of the litter, my second german shephard isn't as good with other dogs and I didn't spend anywhere near the same ammount of time on him as i did Solja but recently me and grizzly had a week of one of one with no other dogs in the back yard and i was amased at how good a dog he can be when he is on his own. Can't recomend a better dog.

Last edited:
Am-staff will get my vote every time.
Awsom family dog, great with kids.
Weapon guard dog. No one is dumb enough to mess with one.

there was also an occasion while camping, i had solja tied to the tree where i was sleeping, i woke early in the morning, sun was only just starting to show itself, to a long angery growl. Solja's hairs were a little up and he was just eyeing off this massive dog that had come a little to close to me, it was funny because this sort of behaviour isn't normal for solja, it was like he knew I was asleep and vanurable and just felt he needed to protect me a little more then usual. He and that dog were later playing in the river together. Every time I take him to the river he is only ever locked up at night and I have so many people tell me how impressed they are with him and how well behaved he is.

definatley look into Bull Terriers! You will never have a dull moment! Full of laughs they are, with some of the stupid things they and and the situations they get themselves into! But are a very good Gaurd dog and Family protector! To tell you the truth they can be quite Smart or cunning when push comes to shove!

Lol your call am stafs smart, I have kept and bred pit bulls and american staffy's my whole life as well as a few different breeds, (bull mastiffs, neopolitan mastiffs, bull arabs and american bull dogs) and I wouldnt really call american staffy;s and pitty's smart,

There IMO on of those cases if your gunna be dumb you gotta be tuff, Thier one of the most loyal dogs, good guard dogs and are very tuff but I just dont think thier as intteligant as other breeds,

German shepard or Irish Setter both are wonderful dogs that are smart and also act as a brilliant guard dogs.

Thanks guys! Yea I like the staffy's as well but as mentioned I was told they were not the smartest and therefore not ideal for a first time owner because they can cause a mess. I would a bull terrier but frankly - the missus just has something against them (in the looks department :rolleyes:).

Also, I would rather pick em up from a pound or shelter where I would be saving them rather than purchasing from a breeder. Do you guys know of any good places around Sydney where I might be able to pick one up? Not looking to buy for atleast another month or so though - I'd like to do my research and get as much info as possible prior to buying. Oooo I do have a cat though, does that depend on the individual dog or is it breed related?

Cats... is more of a pup issue... like... let the pup mix with the cat (as long as the cat behaves itself!) and the pup should get used to it and grow up fine around the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back