Underwoodisaurus milii (Thick-tailed, barking, or Australian barking gecko)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daissm

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have recently bought an underwoodisaurus milii gecko and he's only about 6 months old at the moment. I have three questions for you guys.

1. I was just wondering if him only eating one small cricket a week is normal? I put 2 or 3 in there once a week.
  2. Should I mist spray his tank for him to lick?
  3. And I was wondering how to handle him properly so he can feel comfortable with me as he grows up.

I've attached a photo of my little baby, Nigel! :D

Cheers guys!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 7.02.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 7.02.34 PM.png
    502.1 KB · Views: 177
Welcome.

Eating 1 small cricket a week is not particularly bad but especially as the weather warms up he should definitely be eating more, 2-3 crickets every 2-3 nights would be normal.

Yes spraying the side of the cage for him to lick occasionally is good.

The correct way to handle these is to not handle them.

Should be offering food every second day at least.
Cool end mist once or twice a week and let it dry out between mists.
Geckos are not toys. They are not meant to be played with.

Guys while your here, can you help me with identifying whats wrong with my female?

IMG_0656.jpgIMG_0658.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm worried it might be a tumour?

Right, background info, I bought her and her male friend about a month ago, and this lump was noticeable but no where near as large. The seller told me it was just the first batch of eggs, but because of the differences in size I'm really starting to worry, do you have any idea whats going wrong? she is still feeding and moving about as normal, a bit more active during the day, she has 2 lay boxes (the reptileOne ones) in the enclosure, one near the back wall and another under a hide that she uses.

Last edited:
That's an egg Revell and buy the looks of the tail a tad undernourised.

Are you sure its just an egg? By the way, they always have a cricket in the enclosure, I feed every third night but always leave a cricket in there just in case but it rarely gets eaten, temps are 22-28 (cool-warm) and I mist every other day, I have watched her feeding and drinking today.

Are you sure its just an egg? By the way, they always have a cricket in the enclosure, I feed every third night but always leave a cricket in there just in case but it rarely gets eaten, temps are 22-28 (cool-warm) and I mist every other day, I have watched her feeding and drinking today.

As sure as I can be from looking at a photo. They will sometimes only drop the one egg instead of the usual two. Only worry is if it becomes retained, because that looks to be a decent size.

How will I know if it becomes detained? Sorry I'm new to geckos and even newer to breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back