Underwoodisaurus/Nephrurus substrates

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanharvey1993

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have been using desert sand for a while, but it is expensive and needs to be replaced often, is there a cheaper alternative? would you be able to use no substrate for them? thanks.

5 seperate enclosures, crap all over it every few days the surface has heaps on it, the milii dont really dig either so it seems like a waste to just keep replacing it and have them crap all over it. thanks

5 seperate enclosures, crap all over it every few days the surface has heaps on it, the milii dont really dig either so it seems like a waste to just keep replacing it and have them crap all over it. thanks

You could try cleaning it daily......you know scoop out the mess.

Yeah Ryan go the bunnings sand. Thats what I use for all my Nephurus.

thanks everyone, yer cleaning daily sounds a bit easier, atleast I can get on top of it, but they pee when they crap so have that in the sand too, sounds easier to just use the cheap bunnings sand, just replace the sand every few days

just give them a small layer of sand in the tub or cage and put in nesting boxes, they will use them to burrow as well. I know a few people keeping rough knobbies and thickys on newspaper and it works well for them.

Hi Ryan,
My method:
1. Check daily and remove 'turds'. Reptiles like birds have solid 'pee' it's the white bit and the brown bit is the poo. Any moisture that drains into the sand will be mostly water
2. Eventually after several months the sand will need to be replaced. It is possible to wash it and dry it in the sun but this is a bit of a bother. I use a bleach solution to wash it, but then it needs a lot of washing through with water
3. Visit a reptile expo and wait until the end of the day. I picked up 5 x 20kg bags at last years MacHerp Expo for $50! Saved the guy from getting a hernia taking in back to the shop.
Bob

oh ok, that sounds easier. thanks. but washing sand is to much work we used to try that years ago when we first started reptiles and it always was to much work so we ended up just using paper (we used to use sand for all the lizards we kept) thanks

Every 2nd night when I am feeding them, if I see a poop I pick it out,. & then only replace the sand every few months,.
I wouldnt use Newspaper or no substrate they like to dig etc,.
I pay $5.80 for 20kg washed sand @ Bunnings.

the only thing with the washed sand is it dries out quicker than red sand, other than that its good.

why dont you get fly screen mesh,cut it to the size of your enclosure ...place that on top of some of the sand then put the top layer on the mesh...then all you do is lift up the mesh give it a sift sand will go through and poop will be on the mesh and you have collected all the poop in one lot ....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back