unusual behaviour?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa14

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a bearded dragon 18 months roughly. I always thought he was a male, i sexed him and everything.
But this is the weird part, my mate asked me to hold on to the bearded dragon for him, a 2year old female apparently. While i was feeding this female my 18 month male could see her and was getting angry, his beard was going black and he was pacing up and down the enclosure. I just thought greedy things just jealous shes eating all his woodies, and really didnt think anything of it. Got the male out to feed him and he ran at the female and bit her, so i quickly removed the two and seperated them. And today, I was cleaning out the enclosures and pulled the female out to clean up her enclosure and my 18 month male could see her basking on the couch, and started head bobbing and ive read this is how males get the females attention, so thought he was just being cheaky. Then he started waving, lifting one front leg at a time and slowly rotating it in a circle. (ive heard males also stamp their feet but this was more of a wave then a stamp) Then when i got my male out to clean his enclosure he was trying to get to the female, (her enclosure is on the bottom so he was able to see her), i did some research and thought id put them together cause everything is pointing towards them wanting to mate, until the females beard turned black, she started head bobbing to.

so my question is, why was the male(i think hes male) waving? and is the female a male or do female do that too?

thanks, :)

Head bobbing and arm waving are considered normal behaviour for bearded dragons.
What species of bearded dragon are they?

Central bearded dragon.Yeah i think i may have got the sexes wrong? what do you think?

i had a one we believed was a male, till 'HE' laid 10 eggs early wednesday morning lol, naturally they were infertile

yeah im waiting for my to do the same just to see if he really is a she.
whats the youngest a femae can lay eggs and also mate?

i had a one we believed was a male, till 'HE' laid 10 eggs early wednesday morning lol, naturally they were infertile

I had the same thing happen to me with my first central,"he" did the bobbing and blackbearding for 5 years and then laid slugs :shock:

- - - Updated - - -

whats the youngest a femae can lay eggs and also mate?

it's best to wait till at least 2 years old but as bushman says size is important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back