unusual BHP behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adz83

Reaction score
so iv had my male bhp for 3 years and he has been the tamest snake in my collection....until a few months ago, wen i had him out cruising around the house one nite. its not uncommon for him to rub his nose against me,so wen he was rubbing his nose against the tip of my finger i didnt think too much of it...then BANG! he not only tagged me but took my finger up to my second knuckle into his mouth and proceeded to throw a coil around my hand. for the next half hour he was trying to eat my finger,and i was trying to not move my hand too much,but wen i did, he tightened his grip on my hand. I tried running him under water but that didnt help. He eventually let go of my finger but wouldnt release my hand for another 20 mins.

He had been fed a large rat 9 days prior,and he has never been an aggressive eater,so this reaction came as a massive surprise.

Fast forward to last nite, i had him out cruising round the room and when i picked him up to put him back into his enclosure,he threw a coil around my hand and again went into a feeding mode. he tried to bite my finger again but was able to stop him. I spent the next hour trying to get him off me but he just wouldnt let go.

Im not exactly sure wat has happened to start this behaviour,but my missus doesnt want me getting him out now wen nobody is here with me.

Any ideas wat could b causing this or wat i can do to calm him down again?

Sounds like a feeding response. Maybe just don't get him out at night as that is when they are normally prowling for food. I don't let my bhps get their mouths anywhere near my flesh at anytime of day.....

I agree fully with David – good advice.

In case it happens again, keep some alcohol or mouth wash and a cotton ball handy. Place the soaked cotton ball under its nose and it will quickly let go.

Ensure that you do not smell of any other animal, budgies, geckoes, whatever, before taking it out.

It does sound like foraging behaviour so you may want to check the weight of the feed item(s) compared to the snake. 10% to 20% is the conservative range. Try it on 20% feeds if it is not already.

If possible, develop a behavioural routine. Feed after dark, exercise during daylight hours.

Blue

Nothing unusual about that at all. Typical BHP behavior.

We "train" (assist) them to eat mammals in captivity.....WE are mammals. So, washing hands, etc......won't work.
Keep your hands away from their mouth....and, you'll be golden.

D

How 'large' are your large rats? I would personally change over to rabbits if you can.
Adult rats can have quite a bit of fat on them, certainly something you don't want going into your BHP..

Sounds pretty normal to me, He would've been picking up scents from around the house, you probably smelt like the first the thing edible. Whenever I see my BHPs side face rubbing, I know whats about to happen.

yeh strange thing is both times its happened iv just got out of the shower,so i shouldnt be smelling like anything tasty to him..

He will detect your warmth and you will still smell of something to him. My woma tried to eats itsnewspaper once and it wasn't warm or smelt like rats but once they get food in their mind anything is on the menu.....

Yeah Womas are terrible for it.. all good advice just try daytime handle night time feed..

I have females at the moment that are fed at least once a week that will hit the glass anytime you go near it that last month were just normal easy going snakes. Yet I have my males on bugger all and they are all mellow.
Just keeps you on your toes when 6 kg of usually mellow snake decides ' tag your it' ..
Kind of like being married or having teenage daughters in your house.. Some days your only crime is breathing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back