URGANT HELP!! My Beardie is wonky!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, the.badger, there really ARE some dumb people when it comes to buying animals. They'll see something they like, then buy/steal/take it, and discover that they don't know how to feed/clean/care for these animals. I'm sure that 99% of these animals die. I'd say that this particular dragon is extremely lucky that Freefly cares enough to ask for help.

I knew someone on a different site that went on a holiday to inland Australia (drove there). There, she found a thorny devil, liked it, then took it home with her. It died of starvation because she didn't know that they only eat ants. Sure, she was upset, but hey, it's only an animal, right?

Some people just don't care. And, unfortunately, it's too easy for them to buy or take these animals, and kill them. Kids take things home and their parents think it's okay, and then that it doesn't matter when the animal dies. That's why I think there should be a stricter system of acquiring a reptile licence, and harsher punishments if anyone tries to circumvent that system. I mean, wouldn't it better if someone has to go to a government building, and correctly answer questions about husbandry, etc., before they're able to get a licence? This way, it elimates the possibility of people simply reading the answers out of a book, and forces people to do a bit of research first. Something like the current means of gaining a learner's licence now in Queensland.

It seems that the government just doesn't give a rat's **** about reptiles. I mean, except for the minority that grew up with them, most people grew up with the preconcieved idea that snakes were inheritly evil and out to kill people, and that everything else is something to catch and/or play with or torture depending on the kid. If they really cared, they'd make a better effort at trying to protect the scaley-types of our native fauna.

Freefly, try and get a UV tube that has a high output of UVA and UVB (check the packaging), and install it into your dragon's tank. But not a compact, as they produce UVC, which is bad for reptiles. A UV tube is a specially make fluorescent light specific for reptiles. If you don't have the money, then take the dragon outside in the sun for 30 minutes or more daily, and put it into a container or large fish tank underneath the sun with some sort of wire or mesh cover to prevent your dragon from escaping and to make sure predators won't get in. Remember that glass blocks most of the UV light, so if you're using a glass lid, it would make taking it outside pretty pointless. A good way to check if the light is coming through the mesh/wire is to put your hand over where the dragon is from above. If the light over the top of the dragon is blocked, then the dragon will be getting UV where it is.

Also, try to see if you can get some ReptiCal (calcium powder) with added vitamin D from a store, or online from the URS website. When you feed your dragon, lightly dust (or coat) the food item with the powder, then feed it to your dragon. This calcium powder will help stengthen your dragon's bones and help prevent Metabolic Bone Disease, which is what your dragon sounds like it has.

However, before all of this, I suggest a vet trip. If you have neither the money nor the inclination to do this, then please give it to someone that does. This dragon will die if it has undiagnosed MBD, and continues to go untreated. Next time, can you please do some research before buying your next animal? This way, you can prevent unncessary suffering, and possible death.

Here are some caresheets and the URS website for you. I've also provided a food guide for dragons that mysnakesau (I believe) recently posted.

http://www.sundialreptile.com/care sheet--bearded dragon.htm
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/
http://www.bio.miami.edu/ktosney/file/BDcare.html (this one is the most helpful, I've found)

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutritionframeset.html (the food guide)
http://www.ultimatereptiles.com.au/ (the URS website)

Well, I'm thinking it could be a joke, but given some of the people around and some of the people that end up on here, it may well might not be. The mods can tell from the IP whether it matches another user, so if one of them can check, that would be good. I want to help this person with their beardy but not if its a wind up.............

Even if this is just a troll acting a goat, they chose a rather good question for a thread, new beginners with beardies can still learn from it.

...... That's why I think there should be a stricter system of acquiring a reptile licence, and harsher punishments if anyone tries to circumvent that system. I mean, wouldn't it better if someone has to go to a government building, and correctly answer questions about husbandry, etc., before they're able to get a licence? This way, it elimates the possibility of people simply reading the answers out of a book, and forces people to do a bit of research first. Something like the current means of gaining a learner's licence now in Queensland.......

Now that wouldn't be a bad idea. Keeping animals is a life-long experience & not something you can learn overnight. But to be put to the test that you know the basic requirements needed by the animal(s) you intend to keep, wouldn't that help reduce a lot of illness and un-necessary neglect/deaths? You don't need to own a bank to know how to keep a bearded dragon, but even on a low income, if you understand their requirements and can provide these requirements then congratulations you have earned your license.

You don't need UV lights if you can provide your beardy 8 to10 hours a week of sunlight. You don't need to buy a heat rock if you can pick a rock up out of your garden and place it directly under a basking light in their enclosure. You don't need a natural look hide rock if you have an empty tissue box. So there are always ways around the dollar sign, its your committment that needs to be crucial so he can live long and happy.

Ok, I am just rambling now. :rolleyes:

And also, mysnakesau, it could help prevent the people from wanting reptiles purely for the hell of it out of the system. I mean, if they have to go to all that trouble just to get a simple licence, I'm sure most wouldn't bother.

Some would argue that those people could just go out and catch one in the wild. That's why the government needs to come down hard on these people. If someone knows that someone else has captured and is keeping a reptile (or any native fauna), then they should be content in the knowledge that if they call the EPA (for example), then the perpetrators will be punished, with (in my opinion) a HUGE fine or time in jail.

And also, mysnakesau, it could help prevent the people from wanting reptiles purely for the hell of it out of the system. I mean, if they have to go to all that trouble just to get a simple licence, I'm sure most wouldn't bother.

Some would argue that those people could just go out and catch one in the wild. That's why the government needs to come down hard on these people. If someone knows that someone else has captured and is keeping a reptile (or any native fauna), then they should be content in the knowledge that if they call the EPA (for example), then the perpetrators will be punished, with (in my opinion) a HUGE fine or time in jail.

Yeah, there ya go. They wouldn't bother going for the license but it is just too easy to take them from the wild. They can never police it. And many won't report abusers in fear of them causing trouble

Oh, I don't know. The RSPCA get hundreds of thousands of abuse/neglect cases every year. It seems for every torturer there's a handful of helpful people that are willing to turn them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back