!!URGENT HELP!! Snake hasnt eaten for 5 MONTHS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stipe

Not so new Member
Reaction score
OMG firstly i wrote a whole thread until my Internet stuffed up and lost it all. So now i will cut the story short.

I bought a maculosa from a reputable breeder for a friend who really wanted a snake. I think he wouldnt treat the snake with respect but after two weeks of me teaching him on the basics and fundamentals and plus writing him out a detailed manual i though he was all set. The snake was two months old when i got it and had eaten 5 times, 2 on lizards 3 on mice. When i brought it home it did not eat once. Since it was with me for two weeks I didn’t think much of it as it would of been stressed. Then finally the day came and i handed it over to him.

I saw him again today and asked how the snake was. He then told me it has not eaten once and had since went against what i told him and bought a 4-foot tank for it. I was furious. Told him to hand it over to me tomorrow so i can take it to a vet. I feel so sorry for it and i don’t know how it will look tomorrow. poor bugger.

Ok so when i get it tomorrow what can i do to help it out before i go to a vet. Also what vets is really good with snakes here in Sydney particularly in the inner-western suburbs around auburn and Lidcombe.

Last edited:
not sure about the vet s there but i would be puyting him straight into a click clack for a while so he doesn't feel so stressed
poor little thing, sounds ike you did absolutely everything you could to ensure he got good care, out of curiosity why ddn't your freind get himself one?

went against what i told him and bought a 4-foot tank for it. I was furious

dont want to argue but whats wrong with the tank is it too small, too big?

As it is soo young...and hasnt eaten...if nothing eles works such as scenting/wiggling/jiggling etc...you might have to try to assist feed it.

i would be gettin some live food and trying it on a live pinky mouse or pinky rat

i have had snakes not eat for months

i have just recently had a coastal not eat for a month and then she ate so all was good

i would just try on some live food

cheerz

The snake probably has worms and other crap from the lizards. There's a good vet at Crows Nest and also a good one at Kingswood (Penrith), which one would you prefer to go to?

Once the snake has been treated by the vet, put him in a very small click clack, preferably coloured so the snake can not see outside of it. Have 1-2 small hides that he can just fit into. Put half of the tub on a heat mat and control the temp of the heat mat with a thermostat set to 31 degrees. Make sure there is a hide on the warm side. Leave him for about a week, then try feeding again.

If the snake is losing condition, you may wish to ask for it to be force fed while you're at the vets.

Firstly yeh a 4 foot set up for a 30cm snake is teribly bad it will get scared and not feel secure. Also all he had was a extra small exo-terra heat mat to heat the thing.

He bought it from me becasue i knwo breeders to snakes for a bit less money and plus im the animal guy out of my friends. From reptiles to fish : ).

Befor while i had it with me for two weeks i tried all formed of feedign it, braining, scenting, live mice, rats. Etc. Didnt work. I hope one of them work now. Otherwise i will need a vet.

do not try feeding live....trust me they can get addicted to it and not go back to frozen....especially at such a young age...try not to live feed unless nessesary please!

Ok i jsut saw ur post MrBredli, Thats too far for me tro tavel, especially after work as i dont have a car. Need somthing closer. Thansk for the advice i will be doign that and have that already planned. If he is extreemly skinny and lethargic i will ask the vet to force feed.

Hatchlings are easily weaned off live pinkies. If you can't get them feeding on thawed from the start there is nothing wrong with feeding live or freshly killed pinkies to hatchlings. This should be done by the breeder though, and the hatchies should not be sold until feeding on thawed.

yeh i hate feeding live, and breedign mice is dirty work ( cage cleanign every day, lol thats what happens when you ahve 20 babies in a 2 foot tank) i always do frozen but if ia have to.

Ok i jsut got of the phoen with my mate. I will egt it in the morning, put it in a chinese take away container with some hand towels and put a sports heat pack on one side to keep it warm. Then when i get home straight to a vet. How is sydney animal hospital for a vet?

yeh i jsut called them and they do not do snakes.

This vet is in the Wiki, so presumably does reptiles, they are the closest to you of all the vets listed in the Wiki.

Marsden Street Veterinary Clinic

41 Great Western Highway Parramatta NSW 2150 02 9633 4354

Thanks so much, doesnt sound to far away let me check the maps.

well sounds like you have a plan happening give your freind a smack over the head when you see him, lol just joking but not really :p
good luck

hey

you might wanna consider soaking the snake for 15 mins twice a day to re hydrate it as a weak/sick snake will not drink. if you do take it to a vet which i reccomend (even if it is not a reptile vet) it would be worth getting a faecal smear done to check for parasites. i also would not reccomend live unless it shows absolutely no interest in dead and also force feedign can be very stressful on the snake if it has not deteriorated i would yes keep the soakigns goign and keep it at about 31 degrees and then offer food in a week or so when it has settled.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a 4 foot tank or a 24 foot tank, in the wild they seek out shelters & secluded areas where they are safe from predators so that is what you have to duplicate, hide boxes & shelters, hollow logs etc that are a snug fit, it must feel safe & secure, get the temperature up to 30 degrees Celsius at least at one end, ensure you have fresh water as small snakes can dehydrate very quickly. When you have the enclosure set up correctly after a couple of days place a brained pinkie mouse just at the entrance of its hide box in the evening, do not put inside as the snake can see this as a threat & generally you will have more luck at a feeding response in the evening, if it does not take it straight away leave it & check in the morning, hope this helps if not then a assist feed is required by a experienced hand, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back