URGENT HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

python_guy44

Reaction score
i checked on my bredls yesterday and she has TICKS. I used a solution that i got off a vet from when my coastal/diamond had seed ticks (i used it in the cage and on the snake incuding all cage furniture) . I checked her today and she has just shed her skin and i took her out to take and hold her and she has ticks under her scales.

should i take her to the vet at mono vale as they tell me he is one of the best in austraila. I am scared to take the ticks out myself as i have no experiance in removing them.

PLEASE HELP ASAP

Python guy44,
You can get some liquid parafin from the pharmacy and with a cotton bud dab them, and hold the cotton bud over the tick, this generally starves the tick of oxygen ad they fall off.

You can also use a pair of tweezers and if you can get right to the base of the ticks mouth , pull at it carefully until it releases it's hold, then dap on some betadine liquid, just to help prevent infection if the mouth parts of the tick haven't all come out, if you are worried about the second option , try the first one.

Where do you think they have come from?

NCHERPS

I believe they have come from the branches i have in my enclosure but i was told before you put them in the soak them in very hot water to kill insects etc. I did this but i think it hasnt worked. IS this how you guys clean them. If it isnt how do you clean branches etc.
i have some photo's of them in my gallery

http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

.....Also how do you get rid of ticks from your enclosure. I presume you dont use liquid parafin.

I soak all my branches in a solution of 1 part bleach 9 parts water. You should soak them in this for at least one hour and then make sure you rinse them in water to remove all the bleach.

Can i use that for the whole enclosure including furnishings as long i rinse it iff with water.

take it to the vet. I think the best vet is Robert Johnson at South Penrith. HIs phone number is 02 4721 4796.

I was out gathering branches yesterday evening, here are the precautions I took.
I may be over the top, or I may be too lax, but this is what I did.

When I got the branches home, they get a quick brush down and clean off go into the garage many storeys below the flat, so they have less chance of getting inside before I've had a chance to get into sterilising. Then I always soak all branches, in a hot water and bleach solution over night.

As an added precaution, after scrambling around wood piles, on returning home I chuck all my clothes in the wash and jump in the shower, just in case I bring ticks or mites in on my person.

Best of luck with getting rid of those ticks Jeremy.

I'm a newbie too, so if in doubt I always go to the vet, or at least take some pictures, write a description gather all my records, and then contact the vet via email and phone to get some reasurrance that I'm providing the right treatment at home.

As for ticks out of the enclosure, get everything with a hot water and bleach solution would be what I'd do. I have no experience with Top of Descent myself, but other members might be able to confirm use of this product for your problem...

Python guy44,
You can also get some Frontline spray from a petshop or vets to spray the enclosure, rememeber to take out the water bowl.
Frontline is designed for cats and Dogs, but works well with snakes and enclosures.
I used this in the UK to kill mites to.
Don't spray directly onto the snakes head/mouth but rather spray some kitchen towel and let the snake run through your hands with the towel.
It is used and has been tested by many herpers in the UK, so you can be sure it will work and get rid of the parasites.

Good luck with them.

NCHERPS

I have never seen top of decent i have looked for it but it is no where to be found ???

I am going to be safe and go with the vet. And suggest the mortein spray, 9 parts water 1 part bleach etc. etc

....ok the vet is not open, so with the bleach can it be used on my wood enclosure or will it ruin the wood stain.

.........ok, i have put the parafine on my snake do i leave it on her and put her in enclosure, or do i wash it off.
please respond asap
i have a greasy snake so post quick

ty

i use this stuff called orange medic to get rid of ticks and mites.You can get it in chemists.It's a childrens hair lice removal shampoo.It works a treat when i use it.Just spray it on the snake but not directly on the head.Spray the enclosure too,take out the water bowl,and then leave the snake in there.Do this once a week for three weeks to make sure you have got rid of all the ticks and mites.

I would never be without a can of TOD. I buy mine from the herp shop and he's the cheapest around. He does mail order too.

a whle back didn't someone get some diamonds that were sick because they were treated with orange medic???

yaaaaaay i did it yesterday and today no ticks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
i bleached my cage and furniture (including branches)
then used parafin on the snake
worked a charm

Python guy44,
Pleased to hear, well done!
Keep a look out over the next few weeks though, just incase a few egg's got missed.
NCHERPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back