Urgent Help!!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd pass on the mince.....they like it but mince is usually made of meat that's not far from going off and they put chemicals in it to make it look red......stick with fruit and veg. what else have you been feeding it?

Simone.

Brad take him to the vet.It can be very dangerous for people to diagnose problems without seeing the animal.An overdose of calcium can do just as much damage as a defeciency I understand the good intentions of others but taking the advise of new herp owners can be more trouble than its worth.
Unfortunatly too often people asking for help and advise are given it by kids with very little experience and this on its own can cause a multitude of problems.
Id like to see a section that only experienced keepers ie J and C, can answer questions related to the health concerns of herps. JMO

What is it with people on here. If there is something not right with your reptile take it to a vet. I think it is cruel if you dont and could be classed as abuse. Especially if it something like paralysis. Its not rocket science, the longer you leave it the more chance there is of it getting beyond help. Dont waste time with asking questions here and waiting for replies, people on here are not vets.
If you truly respect and love your herp get it to a vet. If you cant afford the bills then you should re think having pets.

natural sunlight will help if it is a calcium deficiency, and calcium rich foods,...but ofcourse he'll have to see a vet to see if thats really whats wrong,...

Giddy up...Odie, i hear that!!!!!!!

As for getting animals to vets i know i'd rather wait a week to get in to see Terri Bellamy or drive to Crows Nest to see David Vella than take my animals to a local dog/cat vet. I worked for a vet that was as useless as sh@ on a rug. Unfortunately some of thse kids don't have the luxury of being able to drive their animals to a vet.

Simone.

I understand that a lot of the people on here are kids, as a parent though I woild not let any of my kids get a pet of any description unless I was prepared to take responsibility for getting them to vets when needed and covering costs if needed. I live 3hrs from the closest herp vet and if any of mine need i take the 3 hr drive. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination and I work full time but I have agreed to having pets and take full responsibility for their welfare.You wouldnt make a person wait until it was convenient for you if they had something potentially serious wrong with them.Taking on pets brings with it the responsibility of taking care of them and their welfare at any time needed. As I said if you dont have the means to take proper care then dont get the pet.
The lizard in this post is deteriorating and you have a go at me. This is neglect.

And yes Odessa what a good idea. A lot of these kids give advice that makes me cringe. Perhaps there is a vet among us that could reply to queries.

I understand that a lot of the people on here are kids, as a parent though I woild not let any of my kids get a pet of any description unless I was prepared to take responsibility for getting them to vets when needed and covering costs if needed. I live 3hrs from the closest herp vet and if any of mine need i take the 3 hr drive. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination and I work full time but I have agreed to having pets and take full responsibility for their welfare.You wouldnt make a person wait until it was convenient for you if they had something potentially serious wrong with them.Taking on pets brings with it the responsibility of taking care of them and their welfare at any time needed. As I said if you dont have the means to take proper care then dont get the pet.
The lizard in this post is deteriorating and you have a go at me. This is neglect.

And yes Odessa what a good idea. A lot of these kids give advice that makes me cringe. Perhaps there is a vet among us that could reply to queries.

Well said - I agree totally!!!!! TAKE IT TO THE VET

Totally agree with Tim, this is a very unusual presentation for constipation. The most common thing to see in animals with this condition are bloating, inappetance and cloacal prolapse not forelimb paresis. There are a multitude of conditions that may present like this and MBD would be high on the list especially given the husbandry conditions you listed.
As far as taking animals to the vet a little common sense is required. If you were sick (ie paralysed) would you wait a week to see the doctor?? The earlier animals are seen by a professional the greater the chance of diagnosis and resolution of the problem.

Totally agree with Tim, this is a very unusual presentation for constipation. The most common thing to see in animals with this condition are bloating, inappetance and cloacal prolapse not forelimb paresis. There are a multitude of conditions that may present like this and MBD would be high on the list especially given the husbandry conditions you listed.
As far as taking animals to the vet a little common sense is required. If you were sick (ie paralysed) would you wait a week to see the doctor?? The earlier animals are seen by a professional the greater the chance of diagnosis and resolution of the problem.

Well said herpdoc - good to have people like you and Tim around.

There are a multitude of conditions that may present like this and MBD would be high on the list especially given the husbandry conditions you listed.

I dont think he listed the husbandry conditions, did he?

Brad, hard to believe that it's constipation. Mince is something that digests easily, even in cold weather. Its more likely to be a blockage caused by swallowing a foreign object (like a cat litter pellet), rather than constipation.

I also dont believe it's Metabolic Bone disorder, not yet. 2 weeks old is too young for a bluey to get it in my opinion.

You sure the spine is okay? No obvious dents or humps in the back?

So anyway Brad, has the Bluey passed a motion? How do you know it's constipation?

Just interested, that's all.

Serpant tongue, your questioning a vets opinion........where did you get your degree in vet science from?????? Grow up people and start to listen to the real experts that are trying to help. The neglect and cruelty shown in some peoples attitudes here is really frightening.
To the vets that are trying to help good luck breaking through the ignorance shown by a lot of people on this forum.

Hey Brad, sorry too hear the poor bluey died. Have a good look thru the posts in this thread. hopefully you'll realize that this site is fantastic for general advice and help in non life threatening situations but will never help a sick and / or dying animal. Only a vet or very experienced herper face to face with the animal will help sometimes. I really hope you learn from your mistakes. And please don't think I'm having a go, just encouraging.

Serpant tongue, your questioning a vets opinion........where did you get your degree in vet science from?????? Grow up people and start to listen to the real experts that are trying to help. The neglect and cruelty shown in some peoples attitudes here is really frightening.
To the vets that are trying to help good luck breaking through the ignorance shown by a lot of people on this forum.

ST may not be a vet....but has had heaps of experience....which a lot of vets don't have!
I personally value his opinions greatly as with TB and other experienced keepers on this site that aren't vets!!! Experience is more than any degree!!
And yes....my experience with some vets, I WOULD question them!!!

And practically every post that you make Isis is to have a go at someone or another, why don't you just chill out!!

im with serpenttongue on this one sounds like he knows his stuff ,from personal experience i agree with everything said including the bit about u.v. light reqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back