urgent Mite help - alternative treatments?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysophylax

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just found out yesterday my [first ever reptile] baby Blue Tongue has mites, but I think he's had them for a while ( as he's had white spots on him for more than a week, but I only saw the critters and asked for help yesterday).
I've been reading all the threads here finding out how dangerous they are and now I'm really scared and worried as 1. I don't have any money to buy the mite spray untill Tuesday (living off old packs of noddles atm!) and 2. I won't be able to get to my local reptile shop to get it untill my next day off (again, Tuesday).

I'm really worried about him, and I've been giving him lots of warm baths (which he hates BTW) to try and drown the mites and picking off and killing any that I see.

Is there anything else I can do to help before I get the anti-mite spray???

If he is in a tank or indoors enclosure, completely change all substrate and remove any rocks/logs, as they will shelter in any small nook or cranny they can find. Wipe out the enclosure with a mild disinfectant (bleach mixed 1 to 10 with water if you have nothing else), let it dry and air out, wipe it out with a normal damp cloth. Put the furnishings in boiling water or leave them out in the sun for a week or so, and don't put them back in the enclosure until he is mite free. Get as many off him manually as you can until you can get the spray.

Thanks Rednut,
have done all of the above and he seems happier then before - only a little disoreatined with how different his cage looks and smells.
I also sprayed the room his tank is in with strong fly spray in an effort to kill some more (obviously he was not in that room!)
Looking forward to getting the mite spray soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back